AP Summer Institute Held at Fisher
The annual Advanced Placement Summer Institute (APSI) was held at St. John Fisher College from June 30 – July 3, attracting 165 AP teachers from schools across New York State, outlying states, and even some from as far away as Turkey.
Dr. Linda Schlosser, Associate Professor of Education, serves as the Institute Director. Schlosser has a long history as a consultant to the College Board and has been directing an AP Summer Institute for years. She has directed it at Fisher for the past eight years, and has been its only director.
This year, the majority of the teachers hail from surrounding school districts, but several teachers traveled to Fisher from as far away as Tennessee, Iowa, and Nebraska. In addition, some came from Mexico, Canada, Japan, China, India, Thailand, and Turkey. While on campus, the teachers participated in workshops designed for both new and experienced teachers in Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, English Literature and Composition, Latin, Statistics, U.S. History, and World History.
“As the College Board continues to revise the AP courses and exams, professional development for teachers is an important opportunity for Fisher’s School of Education to provide service to our community and beyond. It also enables us to showcase our campus to teachers who work with college-bound high school students,” said Schlosser.
This year, the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education will be offering its first AP Scholarships to entering teacher education candidates who have successfully completed an AP course in high school using proceeds from the Institute.
The Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education is a sponsor of the Institute, which is also fully endorsed by the Advanced Placement Program of The College Board.
An AP biology teacher experiences the new lab requirements to better prepare their students for next year's exam.
Latest College News Stories
- Nursing Faculty Participate in Cost of Poverty Experience
- Buffalo Bills Release 2015 Training Camp Schedule
- Community Service Efforts Land Fisher on President’s Honor Roll
- Justinian Order Honors President Bain during Luncheon
- Charles McVay Inducted into National Math Honor Society
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Holds Hooding, Presents Awards
- Recognition Ceremony Celebrates School of Nursing Grads
- Dr. Katrina Arndt Receives Trustees’ Distinguished Scholar Award
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Celebrates Ed.D. Candidates
- Bain Presents Two with President’s Medals
- Seniors Honored for Academic Achievement, Campus Leadership at President’s Awards Ceremony
- Banquet Honors Senior Student-Athletes
- Nearly 1,200 Graduate during Fisher’s 61st Commencement
- National Biology Honor Society Inducts 29
- Entrepreneurship in the Classroom Focus of Education Conference