Sierra Featured in the Chronicle of Higher Education
The work of Dr. Wendi Sierra, Assistant Professor of English, has been featured in The Chronicle of Higher Education, highlighting a game that she had a hand in inventing.
The Chronicle was covering the Conference on College Composition and Communication, referred to as the Four C’s by attendees, which is the major conference for faculty in rhetoric and composition. Sierra was interviewed about the game, “C’s The Day,” which was specifically designed for the conference. It puts conference attendees through a series of challenges, or quests, that they choose and there are more than 80 quests in a booklet that players get stamped each time they complete one.
According to the article, the quests are designed to encourage conference-goers to network and step outside of their comfort zone. For example, one challenges players to practice their elevator speech, and another one tasks players with asking a good question during one of the conference panels.
“A lot of times, we go to professional conferences with a sense of obligation,” said Sierra in the article. “What ‘C’s The Day’ allows us to do is say, ‘This is serious, and you need to be professional, but you can have some fun, too.'”
Since 1949, the Conference on College Composition and Communication has been the world's largest professional organization for researching and teaching composition, from writing to new media.
Latest College News Stories
- First-Year Pharmacy Students Include Service in Orientation
- Markwick Chosen for AANP Future Leaders Program
- Wischnowski Appointed to Diocesan School Board
- School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
- Lavigne Presents at International Social Pharmacy Workshop
- Students, Faculty Complete Summer Research at University of Rochester
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students, Faculty Travel to Montana for Service
- Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
- Fisher Ranks on Forbes' 2014 "America's Best Colleges" List
- Wegmans School of Nursing Partners with Rochester General Hospital for “Resident Boot Camp”
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher