Sierra Featured in the Chronicle of Higher Education
The work of Dr. Wendi Sierra, Assistant Professor of English, has been featured in The Chronicle of Higher Education, highlighting a game that she had a hand in inventing.
The Chronicle was covering the Conference on College Composition and Communication, referred to as the Four C’s by attendees, which is the major conference for faculty in rhetoric and composition. Sierra was interviewed about the game, “C’s The Day,” which was specifically designed for the conference. It puts conference attendees through a series of challenges, or quests, that they choose and there are more than 80 quests in a booklet that players get stamped each time they complete one.
According to the article, the quests are designed to encourage conference-goers to network and step outside of their comfort zone. For example, one challenges players to practice their elevator speech, and another one tasks players with asking a good question during one of the conference panels.
“A lot of times, we go to professional conferences with a sense of obligation,” said Sierra in the article. “What ‘C’s The Day’ allows us to do is say, ‘This is serious, and you need to be professional, but you can have some fun, too.'”
Since 1949, the Conference on College Composition and Communication has been the world's largest professional organization for researching and teaching composition, from writing to new media.
Latest College News Stories
- Alumna Shares Journey with Cushing’s Disease with Nursing Students
- Rhone Attends BGS Student Leadership Fall Forum
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- St. John Fisher College’s 12th Justinian Medal Presented to Michael R. Law, Esq. ’69
- Students Receive Dante Scholarship from Italian Women’s Civic Club
- Madigan to Serve as Guest Lecturer for December First Friday Lecture
- Investment Club Travels to New York City
- Student Athletes “Scare Away Brain Cancer” in Honor of Teammate
- Veterans Affairs Club, President Bain Host Veterans Day Celebration
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 12th Annual Philosophy Day
- St. John Fisher College and Herkimer College Announce 2+2 Partnership Agreement
- Bain Starts Farewell Tour, Visiting Alumni Across Country
- Martínez-Hernández to be part of NIH National Research Mentoring Network Grant
- Read Elected VP of State Association
- Carhart ’12 and Harney ’13 Produce “UFO” Music Video