Sierra Featured in the Chronicle of Higher Education
The work of Dr. Wendi Sierra, Assistant Professor of English, has been featured in The Chronicle of Higher Education, highlighting a game that she had a hand in inventing.
The Chronicle was covering the Conference on College Composition and Communication, referred to as the Four C’s by attendees, which is the major conference for faculty in rhetoric and composition. Sierra was interviewed about the game, “C’s The Day,” which was specifically designed for the conference. It puts conference attendees through a series of challenges, or quests, that they choose and there are more than 80 quests in a booklet that players get stamped each time they complete one.
According to the article, the quests are designed to encourage conference-goers to network and step outside of their comfort zone. For example, one challenges players to practice their elevator speech, and another one tasks players with asking a good question during one of the conference panels.
“A lot of times, we go to professional conferences with a sense of obligation,” said Sierra in the article. “What ‘C’s The Day’ allows us to do is say, ‘This is serious, and you need to be professional, but you can have some fun, too.'”
Since 1949, the Conference on College Composition and Communication has been the world's largest professional organization for researching and teaching composition, from writing to new media.
Latest College News Stories
- Family Weekend 2014 Kicks Off on Halloween
- Hetzler Honored Through Film, Exhibit
- Women’s Soccer Team Raises $1,500 for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- MacGregor Presents at Statewide Conference
- Maples Appointed to National Award Committee
- Fisher Hosts 4A’s Agency Conference
- Culinary Creations for a Cause
- Students "Smash the Scale" On National Love Your Body Day
- Calling All Gamers (For a Good Cause)
- Students Represent Fisher at TutorCon ’14
- “Sustaining a College” is November 7 First Friday Lecture Topic
- "Smash the Scale" on National Love Your Body Day
- From Dancing Shoes to Running Shoes: Teddi Trot Coming October 25
- “Lisa Kindel, You Are An Ironman!”
- Fisher Named to 2015 Military Friendly Schools List