Sierra Featured in the Chronicle of Higher Education
The work of Dr. Wendi Sierra, Assistant Professor of English, has been featured in The Chronicle of Higher Education, highlighting a game that she had a hand in inventing.
The Chronicle was covering the Conference on College Composition and Communication, referred to as the Four C’s by attendees, which is the major conference for faculty in rhetoric and composition. Sierra was interviewed about the game, “C’s The Day,” which was specifically designed for the conference. It puts conference attendees through a series of challenges, or quests, that they choose and there are more than 80 quests in a booklet that players get stamped each time they complete one.
According to the article, the quests are designed to encourage conference-goers to network and step outside of their comfort zone. For example, one challenges players to practice their elevator speech, and another one tasks players with asking a good question during one of the conference panels.
“A lot of times, we go to professional conferences with a sense of obligation,” said Sierra in the article. “What ‘C’s The Day’ allows us to do is say, ‘This is serious, and you need to be professional, but you can have some fun, too.'”
Since 1949, the Conference on College Composition and Communication has been the world's largest professional organization for researching and teaching composition, from writing to new media.
Latest College News Stories
- 2014 Beta Gamma Sigma Liaison Tackles New Role with Big Plans
- Students Look to Get Involved at Fall Involvement Fest
- Wegmans School of Nursing Awards First Advanced Certificate in Mental Health Counseling
- Cooking Up a Sustainable First Friday Lecture October 3
- Nicolay Publishes Monograph
- Cleaner and Greener – College Introduces New Trash and Recycling Centers Campuswide
- Trustee Ronald Hermance, Jr. ’69 Passes Away
- College Welcomes New Faculty for 2014-15 Academic Year
- Get Involved at Involvement Fest Next Tuesday
- Exchanging Courses and Lives
- St. John Fisher College Recognized on List of America’s Best Colleges 2015
- Wegmans School of Nursing Introduces Dedicated Education Unit Clinical Site to Students
- Courage Bowl X Slated for September 20, Fisher to Face Brockport
- Pittsford High School AP Chemistry Students work with Fisher Faculty on Project, Presentation
- Chemistry Faculty Members Present at Biennial Conference on Chemical Education