Roba Named 2nd Farash Scholar at Fisher
Freshman nursing major George Roba, a graduate of Northeast College Preparatory in Rochester, is St. John Fisher College’s second Farash Scholar, chosen by the Max and Marian Farah Charitable Foundation earlier this year. As a Farash Scholar, Roba will graduate from Fisher debt-free, and participate in community service at local non-profit organizations throughout his college career.
In 2012, the Farash Foundation announced the “First in Family” (FIF) scholarship program, which enables selected students from Monroe and Ontario Counties to attend college tuition-free. The scholarships are available to students who are the first in their immediate families to attend college.
While in high school, Roba was involved in the yearbook club; served as President of the Envirothon, an environmental competition among Monroe County schools; and was a member of the bowling team. Community service also took up much of his time, as he volunteered for the Salvation Army, American Red Cross, and several recycling and clean-up projects in his school and community. Additionally, he volunteered as a junior instructor in karate and tutored fellow students.
Roba’s long-term goals include medical school in hopes of becoming a doctor after gaining valuable experience working as a nurse in a hospital setting.
“This scholarship has given me an amazing opportunity to go to school and be able to succeed without worrying about loans that I would have to pay back later,” said Roba. “It has given me the chance to take full advantage of the classes and internship opportunities to make the most out of my four years at Fisher.”
Nine area colleges are part of this program—FLCC, MCC, Hobart and William Smith Colleges, Nazareth, Roberts Wesleyan College, RIT, SUNY Brockport, U of R, and Fisher.
Latest College News Stories
- Alumna Shares Journey with Cushing’s Disease with Nursing Students
- Rhone Attends BGS Student Leadership Fall Forum
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- St. John Fisher College’s 12th Justinian Medal Presented to Michael R. Law, Esq. ’69
- Students Receive Dante Scholarship from Italian Women’s Civic Club
- Madigan to Serve as Guest Lecturer for December First Friday Lecture
- Investment Club Travels to New York City
- Student Athletes “Scare Away Brain Cancer” in Honor of Teammate
- Veterans Affairs Club, President Bain Host Veterans Day Celebration
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 12th Annual Philosophy Day
- St. John Fisher College and Herkimer College Announce 2+2 Partnership Agreement
- Bain Starts Farewell Tour, Visiting Alumni Across Country
- Martínez-Hernández to be part of NIH National Research Mentoring Network Grant
- Read Elected VP of State Association
- Carhart ’12 and Harney ’13 Produce “UFO” Music Video