Roba Named 2nd Farash Scholar at Fisher
Freshman nursing major George Roba, a graduate of Northeast College Preparatory in Rochester, is St. John Fisher College’s second Farash Scholar, chosen by the Max and Marian Farah Charitable Foundation earlier this year. As a Farash Scholar, Roba will graduate from Fisher debt-free, and participate in community service at local non-profit organizations throughout his college career.
In 2012, the Farash Foundation announced the “First in Family” (FIF) scholarship program, which enables selected students from Monroe and Ontario Counties to attend college tuition-free. The scholarships are available to students who are the first in their immediate families to attend college.
While in high school, Roba was involved in the yearbook club; served as President of the Envirothon, an environmental competition among Monroe County schools; and was a member of the bowling team. Community service also took up much of his time, as he volunteered for the Salvation Army, American Red Cross, and several recycling and clean-up projects in his school and community. Additionally, he volunteered as a junior instructor in karate and tutored fellow students.
Roba’s long-term goals include medical school in hopes of becoming a doctor after gaining valuable experience working as a nurse in a hospital setting.
“This scholarship has given me an amazing opportunity to go to school and be able to succeed without worrying about loans that I would have to pay back later,” said Roba. “It has given me the chance to take full advantage of the classes and internship opportunities to make the most out of my four years at Fisher.”
Nine area colleges are part of this program—FLCC, MCC, Hobart and William Smith Colleges, Nazareth, Roberts Wesleyan College, RIT, SUNY Brockport, U of R, and Fisher.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference