Roba Named 2nd Farash Scholar at Fisher
Freshman nursing major George Roba, a graduate of Northeast College Preparatory in Rochester, is St. John Fisher College’s second Farash Scholar, chosen by the Max and Marian Farah Charitable Foundation earlier this year. As a Farash Scholar, Roba will graduate from Fisher debt-free, and participate in community service at local non-profit organizations throughout his college career.
In 2012, the Farash Foundation announced the “First in Family” (FIF) scholarship program, which enables selected students from Monroe and Ontario Counties to attend college tuition-free. The scholarships are available to students who are the first in their immediate families to attend college.
While in high school, Roba was involved in the yearbook club; served as President of the Envirothon, an environmental competition among Monroe County schools; and was a member of the bowling team. Community service also took up much of his time, as he volunteered for the Salvation Army, American Red Cross, and several recycling and clean-up projects in his school and community. Additionally, he volunteered as a junior instructor in karate and tutored fellow students.
Roba’s long-term goals include medical school in hopes of becoming a doctor after gaining valuable experience working as a nurse in a hospital setting.
“This scholarship has given me an amazing opportunity to go to school and be able to succeed without worrying about loans that I would have to pay back later,” said Roba. “It has given me the chance to take full advantage of the classes and internship opportunities to make the most out of my four years at Fisher.”
Nine area colleges are part of this program—FLCC, MCC, Hobart and William Smith Colleges, Nazareth, Roberts Wesleyan College, RIT, SUNY Brockport, U of R, and Fisher.
Latest College News Stories
- Adjunct Faculty Recognized During Appreciation Reception
- Bain Stops in Philadelphia for Farewell Tour
- Mary Ellen Milne Awards Recognize Exceptional Student Employees
- Symposium Remembers Marshall McLuhan
- Fisher Honors Rochester Radio Icon during Room Dedication
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 61st Commencement; Rudolph Giuliani to Serve as Keynote Speaker
- Education, Chemistry Professors Publish Article for Educational Research International
- Deacon Jewell Pens Article for United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Fisher Student-Athletes Participate in the 5th Annual Giant Read
- Statistics Student Will Attend Summer Institute in Biostatistics
- Motivational Speaker Joe Erhmann Addresses Fisher Student-Athletes
- Fisher Senior Earns Fulbright to Turkey
- Workshop Connects Rochester Cultural Organizations to Grant Resources
- Fisher Lights the Steeple Blue for Child Advocacy Month
- Alumni Tour Campus with Mrs. Bain