Recent Grad Reaches Semi-Finals of Peace First Competition
Mohammad Husain Bawany '13 has been named a semi-finalist in the Peace First Prize competition, a national competition that showcases and rewards young people ages 18-22 who have worked towards making a difference in their own communities and beyond. Bawany, a religious studies and biology major while at Fisher, was nominated by the College for his peacemaking efforts and initiatives on campus.
As a student, Bawany worked with the M.K. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence as a Gandhi Service Fellow. As part of his fellowship, he organized the Coexistence Dinner and Dialogue, an event that brought together 80 students and administrators from area colleges to the Fisher campus in order to engage in active dialogue regarding their various faith traditions.
Bawany also served as President of the College’s Muslim Student Association, and was a member of the Student Government Association Senate. He was the recipient of the College’s 2012 Jennifer Koon Courage Award for Peacemaking. In addition, he received the Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Undergraduate Diversity Scholarship in 2013, which is awarded to a student involved in Fisher clubs and organizations whose programs reflect a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and social justice.
“I am honored that Peace First has taken such interest in my peacemaking initiatives and has selected me as a semi-finalist for the Peace First Prize. To have my efforts taken in such high esteem has been a humbling experience. Through Peace First’s acknowledgement of my work, I have also been inspired to further dedicate myself to organizing and promoting community building and peacemaking initiatives,” said Bawany.
According to Peace First, the goal of the Prize is to “share daring work far and wide, invest in leadership, and inspire others to make peacemaking a part of their daily lives.”
In total, there will be five winners who will each receive a $50,000 Peace First Fellowship over two years to support the continuation of their peacemaking work, and contribute to their ongoing education and professional development. Winners will be announced this fall.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference