“Violence and Tragedy: The Mental Illness Perspective” Featuring Dr. Rob Rice in March First Friday Lecture
On Friday, March 1, Dr. Rob Rice, Director of Clinical Internships in the Mental Health Counseling Program at St. John Fisher College, will present “Violence and Tragedy: The Mental Illness Perspective” for the First Friday Lecture. The lecture comes on the heels of a series of national tragedies that have many people talking about mental health awareness. The lecture will take place in the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center Boardroom at 10:00 a.m., and will include a 9:00 a.m. mass followed by a breakfast.
During the lecture, Rice will discuss research related to the public perception of people with mental illness and their potential for violent behavior, and the association between mental disorders and violence, especially among youth. He will also discuss the reactions to the recent tragedies and the implications for public policy influencing youth safety and mental health.
Rice is a full-time, tenure-track faculty member who specializes in the treatment of anxiety and repetitive behaviors associated with obsessive-compulsive disorder and autism spectrum disorders in children and adolescents.
In 2004, he developed and directed a large clinic supporting people with developmental disabilities and mental illness, where he stayed until 2009. He continues to see patients at the clinic on a weekly basis. His current projects and research interests include using videogames and technology to teach self-regulation and other skills for managing anxiety and repetitive behaviors. He presents regularly on his research, most recently in Toronto and The Netherlands at the 2012 International Meeting for Autism Research and Games for Health Europe, respectively.
The First Friday Lecture Series is designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of topics from members of the St. John Fisher College community.
Parking is available in Lot A off of the main entrance to the College at East Avenue/Fairport Road. For more information about the lecture series or to register for the lecture, please call (585) 385-5292 or email email@example.com.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference