“Violence and Tragedy: The Mental Illness Perspective” Featuring Dr. Rob Rice in March First Friday Lecture
On Friday, March 1, Dr. Rob Rice, Director of Clinical Internships in the Mental Health Counseling Program at St. John Fisher College, will present “Violence and Tragedy: The Mental Illness Perspective” for the First Friday Lecture. The lecture comes on the heels of a series of national tragedies that have many people talking about mental health awareness. The lecture will take place in the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center Boardroom at 10:00 a.m., and will include a 9:00 a.m. mass followed by a breakfast.
During the lecture, Rice will discuss research related to the public perception of people with mental illness and their potential for violent behavior, and the association between mental disorders and violence, especially among youth. He will also discuss the reactions to the recent tragedies and the implications for public policy influencing youth safety and mental health.
Rice is a full-time, tenure-track faculty member who specializes in the treatment of anxiety and repetitive behaviors associated with obsessive-compulsive disorder and autism spectrum disorders in children and adolescents.
In 2004, he developed and directed a large clinic supporting people with developmental disabilities and mental illness, where he stayed until 2009. He continues to see patients at the clinic on a weekly basis. His current projects and research interests include using videogames and technology to teach self-regulation and other skills for managing anxiety and repetitive behaviors. He presents regularly on his research, most recently in Toronto and The Netherlands at the 2012 International Meeting for Autism Research and Games for Health Europe, respectively.
The First Friday Lecture Series is designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of topics from members of the St. John Fisher College community.
Parking is available in Lot A off of the main entrance to the College at East Avenue/Fairport Road. For more information about the lecture series or to register for the lecture, please call (585) 385-5292 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Wes Renfro Delivers Convocation at Alma Mater
- College Renovates Park & Ride; Adds 120 Parking Spots
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland