“Violence and Tragedy: The Mental Illness Perspective” Featuring Dr. Rob Rice in March First Friday Lecture
On Friday, March 1, Dr. Rob Rice, Director of Clinical Internships in the Mental Health Counseling Program at St. John Fisher College, will present “Violence and Tragedy: The Mental Illness Perspective” for the First Friday Lecture. The lecture comes on the heels of a series of national tragedies that have many people talking about mental health awareness. The lecture will take place in the Joseph S. Skalny Welcome Center Boardroom at 10:00 a.m., and will include a 9:00 a.m. mass followed by a breakfast.
During the lecture, Rice will discuss research related to the public perception of people with mental illness and their potential for violent behavior, and the association between mental disorders and violence, especially among youth. He will also discuss the reactions to the recent tragedies and the implications for public policy influencing youth safety and mental health.
Rice is a full-time, tenure-track faculty member who specializes in the treatment of anxiety and repetitive behaviors associated with obsessive-compulsive disorder and autism spectrum disorders in children and adolescents.
In 2004, he developed and directed a large clinic supporting people with developmental disabilities and mental illness, where he stayed until 2009. He continues to see patients at the clinic on a weekly basis. His current projects and research interests include using videogames and technology to teach self-regulation and other skills for managing anxiety and repetitive behaviors. He presents regularly on his research, most recently in Toronto and The Netherlands at the 2012 International Meeting for Autism Research and Games for Health Europe, respectively.
The First Friday Lecture Series is designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of topics from members of the St. John Fisher College community.
Parking is available in Lot A off of the main entrance to the College at East Avenue/Fairport Road. For more information about the lecture series or to register for the lecture, please call (585) 385-5292 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair
- Ed.D. Student Highlighted in Huffington Post Article for Leadership, Service