Pharmacy Trio Win Award for Excellence in Assessment
The work of Wegmans School of Pharmacy faculty Dr. Jennifer Mathews, Associate Professor; Dr. Rich O’Brocta, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs; and Dr. Jane Souza, Assistant Dean for Assessment and Acting Chair, Department of Pharmacy Practice & Administration; has won a 2013 Award for Excellence in Assessment from the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP). They will present their work at the association’s annual meeting, which takes place July 13-17 in Chicago.
Mathews, O’Brocta, and Souza focused on existing test data to document curriculum coverage and track student performance on curricular outcomes. After a pilot program, and a series of faculty development sessions on writing quality exam questions and coding them appropriately, the school began coding all test items at several levels for a full academic year. The results included data that provided information at the macro level to inform depth and density of curriculum coverage; at the course level to assess teaching effectiveness, to align course goals with programmatic goals, and to analyze the quality of test items; and at the student level to identify areas of strength and opportunities for improvement.
Souza has also been named chair-elect for the AACP Assessment Special Interest Group, and will be installed at the meeting.
The AACP Annual Meeting is the largest gathering of academic pharmacy administrators, faculty, and staff, and each year offers 70 or more educational programs that cut across all disciplines.
Latest College News Stories
- Race, Equity, and Justice Programs Planned for Spring
- Coexistence Dinner Encourages Dialogue, Spirituality
- Cameron and Michaud Named 2014-2015 Recipients of Excellus Undergraduate Diversity Scholarship
- Lazardeux Co-Authors Article, Publishes Book
- Proietti ’67 to Serve as Guest Lecturer for February First Friday Lecture
- Countdown to Commencement: Trisha Sanfilippo
- “Autumn Leaves” Exhibit Now on Display in Patricia O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Week Taking Place January 19-24
- Lavery Library to Host Traveling Lincoln Exhibition
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Class of 2018 Receives White Coats
- Five School of Education Faculty Present in D.C.
- College Receives Prestigious Carnegie Community Engagement Classification
- Birnie Named Interim Dean, Wegmans School of Pharmacy
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Wegmans School of Pharmacy Founding Dean, Dr. Scott Swigart
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance