SGA to Shine Light on Domestic Violence Awareness
In light of the recent tragedy that occurred at The College at Brockport, the St. John Fisher College Student Government Association (SGA) will be promoting domestic violence awareness on campus over the next few weeks.
According to the SGA, members wanted to show their support for the Brockport campus community, so they have designed bracelets that will be given to students, faculty, and staff across the Fisher campus. The bracelet is purple and green, with the word “RESPECT” displayed in gold embossing. The purple signifies domestic violence awareness, the green represents Brockport, and the gold symbolizes the standard our students should set for themselves and each other.
“We recognize the tragedy that took place on their campus could very easily have been Fisher's campus or any of the area colleges,” said Nicole Henry, Director of Marketing, SGA. “So we feel that it is important to take action and not only show our support, but set a standard that this type of violence is not something we will tolerate. Through the bracelets, we hope to remind our campus community to respect ourselves and those around us.”
The bracelets will be given out at various times and locations. In addition, a remembrance card and an information sheet about domestic violence with warning signs and tips will also be distributed. The proclamation made by President Obama at the beginning of October calling for the month to be recognized as “National Domestic Violence Awareness Month” will also be displayed on campus.
Bracelets will be free to members of the Fisher community, but donations are being accepted. Funds raised will support an effort identified by the Brockport community.
Latest College News Stories
- Student Athlete Mentors Spread Awareness of Sexual Assault Prevention
- Loss Lecture Series Scheduled for October 15
- Hundreds Expected on Campus for 2014 Alumni Weekend
- The Éire on the Erie Conference Scheduled for October 17
- Music to Fisher’s Ears: Meet the SJFC Pep Band
- Follow @FisherParking for Updates on Campus Parking Availability
- Mental Health Counseling Program Recognizes First Group of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselors
- Gantner Organizing Workshop for Mathematical Association of America Fall Meeting
- Faculty Appear at Fringe Festival
- College Purchases Park and Ride Lot from New York State
- Fisher Wins 10th Straight Courage Bowl
- Honorary Courage Bowl Coaches, Cheerleaders Announced
- 2014 Beta Gamma Sigma Liaison Tackles New Role with Big Plans
- Students Look to Get Involved at Fall Involvement Fest
- Wegmans School of Nursing Awards First Advanced Certificate in Mental Health Counseling