SGA to Shine Light on Domestic Violence Awareness
In light of the recent tragedy that occurred at The College at Brockport, the St. John Fisher College Student Government Association (SGA) will be promoting domestic violence awareness on campus over the next few weeks.
According to the SGA, members wanted to show their support for the Brockport campus community, so they have designed bracelets that will be given to students, faculty, and staff across the Fisher campus. The bracelet is purple and green, with the word “RESPECT” displayed in gold embossing. The purple signifies domestic violence awareness, the green represents Brockport, and the gold symbolizes the standard our students should set for themselves and each other.
“We recognize the tragedy that took place on their campus could very easily have been Fisher's campus or any of the area colleges,” said Nicole Henry, Director of Marketing, SGA. “So we feel that it is important to take action and not only show our support, but set a standard that this type of violence is not something we will tolerate. Through the bracelets, we hope to remind our campus community to respect ourselves and those around us.”
The bracelets will be given out at various times and locations. In addition, a remembrance card and an information sheet about domestic violence with warning signs and tips will also be distributed. The proclamation made by President Obama at the beginning of October calling for the month to be recognized as “National Domestic Violence Awareness Month” will also be displayed on campus.
Bracelets will be free to members of the Fisher community, but donations are being accepted. Funds raised will support an effort identified by the Brockport community.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program