SGA to Shine Light on Domestic Violence Awareness
In light of the recent tragedy that occurred at The College at Brockport, the St. John Fisher College Student Government Association (SGA) will be promoting domestic violence awareness on campus over the next few weeks.
According to the SGA, members wanted to show their support for the Brockport campus community, so they have designed bracelets that will be given to students, faculty, and staff across the Fisher campus. The bracelet is purple and green, with the word “RESPECT” displayed in gold embossing. The purple signifies domestic violence awareness, the green represents Brockport, and the gold symbolizes the standard our students should set for themselves and each other.
“We recognize the tragedy that took place on their campus could very easily have been Fisher's campus or any of the area colleges,” said Nicole Henry, Director of Marketing, SGA. “So we feel that it is important to take action and not only show our support, but set a standard that this type of violence is not something we will tolerate. Through the bracelets, we hope to remind our campus community to respect ourselves and those around us.”
The bracelets will be given out at various times and locations. In addition, a remembrance card and an information sheet about domestic violence with warning signs and tips will also be distributed. The proclamation made by President Obama at the beginning of October calling for the month to be recognized as “National Domestic Violence Awareness Month” will also be displayed on campus.
Bracelets will be free to members of the Fisher community, but donations are being accepted. Funds raised will support an effort identified by the Brockport community.
- Fisher Marketing Club Wins AMA Collegiate Chapter Excellence Award
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Parallel Universe and Figurations” Exhibit May 20
- Wegmans School of Nursing Acknowledges Nine with Graduate Awards
- MBA Graduates Recognized
- Inaugural Joining Forces Conference Attracts 170 Health Care Professionals, Veterans to Campus
- Executive Leadership Program Honors Students
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Honors Students During Hooding Ceremony
- Bain Awards President’s Medals at 59th Commencement
- President’s Awards Ceremony Recognizes 47 Graduating Seniors
- Madigan, Plata, and McGregor Honored During Commencement Weekend
- Class of 2013 Presents Class Gift
- Goonan ’75 Receives Honorary Degree
- McCullough Urges Graduates to ‘Keep Learning, Cultivate Curiosity’
- Sodano Receives Father Dorsey Award
- School of Pharmacy Holds 2013 Student Awards