Investment Club Visits NYC in Record Numbers
The St. John Fisher College Investment Club recently returned from a three-day trip to the Big Apple where they met with alumni, visited Wall Street, and attended a management forum. The club traveled with faculty advisor, Dr. Jana Sacks, who said the interest in this annual trip was unprecedented.
A total of 18 students participated, and the trip was mostly organized by the club’s president, senior Rob Nash.
Their first stop was Quinnipiac Global Asset Management Education (G.A.M.E.) IV Forum, hosted by Quinnipiac University at the Sheraton Hotel in Midtown, Manhattan. The forum is attended by a diverse group of international college students and faculty, and serves as a unique opportunity to interact with industry leaders and learn best practices in investment management. The club heard a panel of keynote speakers discuss topics including the global economy, global markets, and corporate governance, among other things.
The second stop was a visit to the offices of Cantor Fitzgerald, one of the few remaining private partnerships on Wall Street. The students visited trading floors for various asset classes, met traders and analysts, and had an opportunity to speak about careers and skill development.
The students with Marty Keating '75 at Cantor Fitzgerald.
“The employees at the companies we visited gave their feedback, advice, and connected the concepts we learned in the classroom to applied real world situations,” said Nash.
After Wall Street, the students had a chance to network with a number of New York City Fisher alumni, wrapping up the day with a student presentation about the club and their investment strategies.
“We were very fortunate to receive support from two of Fisher’s most distinguished alumni, Mr. Marty Keating and Mr. Michael O’Conor, who arranged visits to the New York Stock Exchange for the closing bell of the week, and NASDAQ for the opening bell ceremony,” said Sacks.
Sacks also commented on the relationships the students were able to form on the trip, some she expects to be lifelong and beneficial down the road.
The Investment Club takes on Wall Street!
Latest College News Stories
- Price Places 2nd in “Secrets to Successful Rollouts Revealed!” Video Contest
- Vega Receives Award from Ibero-American Action League
- College to Celebrate “Four Freedoms Week”
- Men’s Soccer Team Hosts Special Game for Special Olympics
- Nelson-Tuttle, Schultz Present Research at Narcolepsy Network’s Annual Conference
- Educational Assessment Effectiveness Team presents at 2014 Assessment Institute, Indianapolis
- 2014 Graduates Continue Service Through Rochester Youth Year Fellowship Program
- Schools of Business and Education Partner to Deliver BGS Annual Day of Service
- Faculty, Students Participate in Seneca Falls Dialogues
- MacDonald Wins Top Student Award
- Copeland Publishes and Presents at National Conference
- Donahue Presents at Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference
- Kunsch Elected New MBA Program Director
- Fisher Community Makes Strides Against Breast Cancer
- Rice Recognized for Lecture