“College Ready” Documentary Viewing October 15
A documentary tackling college readiness through the lens of the urban-suburban racial divide in Rochester, produced by the Rochester Participatory Education Research Collaborative (RPERC), will premier in Basil 135 on October 15 at 6:00 p.m. Drs. Jim Wood and Jeff Liles, Associate Professors from the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education, are two of the RPERC’s founding members.
Wood and Liles worked with other RPERC members, including students and teachers from East High School, Nazareth College faculty, and education graduate students on the film entitled “College Ready.” It debuted at the American Educators and Research Association Conference in San Francisco last spring, and its local debut took place in May at the University of Rochester.
The 50-minute documentary compares the differences between students in the city and suburbs when it comes to college readiness. It takes a closer look at common assumptions about college readiness, and frames the critique in an urban, student-centered, research-based cultural and political context.
In addition to the viewing at Fisher, the student producers are also presenting “College Ready” at Rochester-area high schools and colleges.
Latest College News Stories
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair