“College Ready” Documentary Viewing October 15
A documentary tackling college readiness through the lens of the urban-suburban racial divide in Rochester, produced by the Rochester Participatory Education Research Collaborative (RPERC), will premier in Basil 135 on October 15 at 6:00 p.m. Drs. Jim Wood and Jeff Liles, Associate Professors from the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education, are two of the RPERC’s founding members.
Wood and Liles worked with other RPERC members, including students and teachers from East High School, Nazareth College faculty, and education graduate students on the film entitled “College Ready.” It debuted at the American Educators and Research Association Conference in San Francisco last spring, and its local debut took place in May at the University of Rochester.
The 50-minute documentary compares the differences between students in the city and suburbs when it comes to college readiness. It takes a closer look at common assumptions about college readiness, and frames the critique in an urban, student-centered, research-based cultural and political context.
In addition to the viewing at Fisher, the student producers are also presenting “College Ready” at Rochester-area high schools and colleges.
Latest College News Stories
- Bio Students Present Research
- Ceremony Showcases Service-Learning at Fisher
- Education Professor Elected to Board of American Council for Rural Special Education
- Relay Unites Campus in Fight Against Cancer
- Legal Studies Program Honors Dr. Bain
- Student Entrepreneurs Present Ideas at Business Plan Competition
- Student Work Featured on Local Radio Station
- Alumni of Color Dinner Celebrates Seniors
- PCC Volunteer Program Celebrates 10 Years
- Investment Club Earns First Place Finish in Adirondack Cup Challenge
- SGA Honors Students, Faculty, Staff during Awards Ceremony
- Boev’s Research on Nurse-Physician Collaboration Featured in Publications
- Education Alum Named to Editorial Board of Lower Hudson Newspaper
- Nursing Student Attends Health Policy Conference
- Education Alumna Honored by National Organization