“College Ready” Documentary Viewing October 15
A documentary tackling college readiness through the lens of the urban-suburban racial divide in Rochester, produced by the Rochester Participatory Education Research Collaborative (RPERC), will premier in Basil 135 on October 15 at 6:00 p.m. Drs. Jim Wood and Jeff Liles, Associate Professors from the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education, are two of the RPERC’s founding members.
Wood and Liles worked with other RPERC members, including students and teachers from East High School, Nazareth College faculty, and education graduate students on the film entitled “College Ready.” It debuted at the American Educators and Research Association Conference in San Francisco last spring, and its local debut took place in May at the University of Rochester.
The 50-minute documentary compares the differences between students in the city and suburbs when it comes to college readiness. It takes a closer look at common assumptions about college readiness, and frames the critique in an urban, student-centered, research-based cultural and political context.
In addition to the viewing at Fisher, the student producers are also presenting “College Ready” at Rochester-area high schools and colleges.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference