November First Friday Lecture to Reflect on 50th Anniversary of Kennedy Assassination
Dr. Carolyn Vacca, Associate Professor of History, will present “50 Years After the Assassination of JFK: A Look Back at the Man and the Moment” for the First Friday Lecture on November 1. The lecture will take place in Coleman Chapel in Murphy Hall at 10:00 a.m., and will include a 9:00 a.m. mass, followed by breakfast.
The assassination of President John F. Kennedy on November 22, 1963, was instantaneously captured in over five hundred film and still images, the greatest number for any such event. And yet, that moment, and the man himself, have continued to capture society’s attention and spawn great debates over its origins and import for fifty years in literature, art, and film. This presentation will explore the ongoing examinations of the event by historians, authors, filmmakers, and scientists and how they have shaped our understanding of both the incident and the debates that surround it.
Vacca has been the Monroe County Historian since 1995 and has taught at Fisher for 12 years. She received her bachelor's degree in history from Syracuse University, a master's in library science from SUNY Geneseo, a master's degree in history from SUNY Brockport, and a Ph.D. in history from the University of Rochester.
The First Friday Lecture Series is designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of topics from members of the St. John Fisher College community.
Parking is available in Lot X and V near Murphy Hall. For more information about the lecture series or to register for the lecture, please call (585) 385-7350 or email email@example.com.
Latest College News Stories
- Honorary Courage Bowl Coaches, Cheerleaders Announced
- 2014 Beta Gamma Sigma Liaison Tackles New Role with Big Plans
- Students Look to Get Involved at Fall Involvement Fest
- Wegmans School of Nursing Awards First Advanced Certificate in Mental Health Counseling
- Cooking Up a Sustainable First Friday Lecture October 3
- Nicolay Publishes Monograph
- Cleaner and Greener – College Introduces New Trash and Recycling Centers Campuswide
- Trustee Ronald Hermance, Jr. ’69 Passes Away
- College Welcomes New Faculty for 2014-15 Academic Year
- Get Involved at Involvement Fest Next Tuesday
- Exchanging Courses and Lives
- St. John Fisher College Recognized on List of America’s Best Colleges 2015
- Wegmans School of Nursing Introduces Dedicated Education Unit Clinical Site to Students
- Courage Bowl X Slated for September 20, Fisher to Face Brockport
- Pittsford High School AP Chemistry Students work with Fisher Faculty on Project, Presentation