St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant from the New York Higher Education Services Corporation Grant
St. John Fisher College has received a $50,000 College Access Challenge Grant (CACG) from the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) which is being used to support a comprehensive college-readiness program with students from James Monroe High School in Rochester.
The federal CACG program is designed to help low-income, at-risk students gain the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully navigate the college admissions and financial aid process. HESC has administered New York’s CACG Program since its inception in 2008.
Up to 50 tenth and eleventh-grade students, identified by guidance staff and teachers, are enrolled in Fisher’s program, which runs from December 3, 2012 through August 1, 2013. The program also actively engages the students’ parents/guardians and the high school guidance staff.
Fisher has worked with James Monroe High School guidance counselor staff to provide information and training on college requirements, financial aid, the admissions process, and what is expected from students.
Students and parent(s)/guardian(s) will attend summer workshops focused on the college admissions and financial aid process, preparing students to successfully graduate from high school, college requirements, exploring college majors and career options, and SAT preparation. Later in the summer, students will also have the opportunity to attend college tour(s) and participate in a one-week summer residential experience at Fisher, staying in residence halls, to experience college residential life. Throughout that week, students will work both individually and in small groups, participating in team-building exercises, familiarizing themselves with aspects of the college search and selection process, and receiving information and ongoing support related to the college admission process.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year