St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant from the New York Higher Education Services Corporation Grant
St. John Fisher College has received a $50,000 College Access Challenge Grant (CACG) from the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) which is being used to support a comprehensive college-readiness program with students from James Monroe High School in Rochester.
The federal CACG program is designed to help low-income, at-risk students gain the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully navigate the college admissions and financial aid process. HESC has administered New York’s CACG Program since its inception in 2008.
Up to 50 tenth and eleventh-grade students, identified by guidance staff and teachers, are enrolled in Fisher’s program, which runs from December 3, 2012 through August 1, 2013. The program also actively engages the students’ parents/guardians and the high school guidance staff.
Fisher has worked with James Monroe High School guidance counselor staff to provide information and training on college requirements, financial aid, the admissions process, and what is expected from students.
Students and parent(s)/guardian(s) will attend summer workshops focused on the college admissions and financial aid process, preparing students to successfully graduate from high school, college requirements, exploring college majors and career options, and SAT preparation. Later in the summer, students will also have the opportunity to attend college tour(s) and participate in a one-week summer residential experience at Fisher, staying in residence halls, to experience college residential life. Throughout that week, students will work both individually and in small groups, participating in team-building exercises, familiarizing themselves with aspects of the college search and selection process, and receiving information and ongoing support related to the college admission process.
Latest College News Stories
- First-Year Pharmacy Students Include Service in Orientation
- Markwick Chosen for AANP Future Leaders Program
- Wischnowski Appointed to Diocesan School Board
- School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
- Lavigne Presents at International Social Pharmacy Workshop
- Students, Faculty Complete Summer Research at University of Rochester
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students, Faculty Travel to Montana for Service
- Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
- Fisher Ranks on Forbes' 2014 "America's Best Colleges" List
- Wegmans School of Nursing Partners with Rochester General Hospital for “Resident Boot Camp”
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher