Pharmacy Faculty Co-Write Book about Suicide Prevention
Dr. Jill Lavigne and Dr. Fang Zhao, Associate Professors from the Wegmans School of Pharmacy, recently published a book about suicide prevention, “Frontiers in Suicide Risk: Research, Treatment and Prevention,” and co-wrote it with over 40 scientists and clinicians from around the world.
The book includes 17 chapters that cover prevention methods. For those clinicians who work with patients at the bedside, they write about exploring the use of motivational interviewing to treat patients with active suicidal ideation. The book also talks about prevention efforts that are being developed and implemented to assess suicide risk and prevent attempts in specific patient groups, such as older adults and those with traumatic brain injury or substance use. Additionally, the authors discuss suicide risk and prevention attempts by community-based participatory research programs, the United States government, and the field of economics.
Lavigne was the book's sole editor and wrote two chapters including, “The Comparative Safety of Multiple Drug Regimens with Adverse Effects of Risk of Suicidal Ideation or Behavior: A Study Design for Bipolar Disorder” and "Pharmacist and Pharmacy Staff Knowledge, Attitudes and Motivation to Refer Patients for Suicide Risk Assessment: Lessons from Operation SAVE." Zhao wrote a chapter entitled, “Innovative Drug Delivery and Formulation Designs to Deter Drug Abuse and Misuse Related to Suicide.”
The pair co-wrote the book with experts from the Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, US Department of Veterans Affairs, University of Rochester Medical Center, University of Alabama, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Case Western Reserve University, University of Pittsburgh, Tulane University, Yeditepe University (Turkey), University of Saskatchewan (Canada), Iwate Medical University (Japan), Goethe University (Germany), University of Leuven (Belgium), King’s College of London, University of Montpellier, Academic Hospital of Montpellier, and Psychiatric Hospital of Sint-Camillus (Belgium).
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Rosenberry Leads Effort on Citizen-Centered Journalism Research Initiative
- Fisher Alumna Shares “10 Body Language Habits of Successful People”
- Lavery Library Receives Grant from Rochester Regional Library Council
- Fisher Grad Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium