“Voices in the Shadows” Exhibit Opens March 18
Lavery Library’s Lower Level will become home to a new exhibit beginning Monday, March 18, when “Voices in the Shadows: Women Survivors of the Holocaust” opens. The Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs and Lavery Library are co-sponsoring the exhibit, and will host an opening reception on March 18 from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. in the library.
The exhibit’s artist and curator, Dr. Esther Denaro Maltese, conducted research focused on the memories of eleven women survivors. Since the exhibit’s opening on September 24, 1997, it has received wide acclaim in middle schools, high schools, colleges and universities, churches, synagogues, religious schools, workshops, international conferences, and community organizations.
Maltese is the Founder and President of The Rose and Joseph Denaro Interfaith Center for the Study of Genocide and Violence Prevention. She earned her Ph.D. in Higher Education Administration and Policy Studies at the State University of New York at Buffalo. She completed post-graduate work at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, the Women’s Institute in Higher Education Administration at Wellesley College, the Administrative Management Institute at Cornell University, and the International School of Holocaust Studies at Yad Vashem, Israel. Maltese has presented her research at international conferences in Israel, Milan, and Oxford University.
The exhibit will be on display until April 8.
Latest College News Stories
- Swigart Posthumously Honored at Rochester Pharmacy Gala
- 2015 Lobene Lecture to Feature Best-Selling Author Dr. Sherry Turkle March 23
- President and Mrs. Bain Inducted into Camp Good Days’ Ring of Honor
- Madigan Receives Summer Fellowship in Ireland
- School of Arts and Sciences to Host Free Screening of “Shadows of the Lynching Tree”
- College to Host Storytelling Festival
- #MeetTheMedia with #FisherComm Thursday
- St. John Fisher College Top Ranked NYS Institution in 2014 CPA Exam Results
- Renfro Called Upon for Bush Family Expertise
- 2013 Alumnus Publishes Article in U.S. Naval Institute Magazine
- Students "Tapped" to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- March First Friday Lecture Focus is European Influence in Rochester
- Countdown to Commencement: Cole Lachance-Tofany
- Teddi Dance for Love Surpasses $1 Million Mark
- Miss Norma, Lackmann Honored by Parent Company