’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
The Annual Science Scholars Program Symposium Lecture will feature keynote speaker Dr. Martha Mutschler-Chu ’75, Professor in the Department of Plant Breeding and Genetics at Cornell University. The lecture will take place on Thursday, March 20, at 6:30 p.m. in Basil 135. It is free and open to the public.
Mutschler-Chu is a Professor and Vegetable Breeder in the Department of Plant Breeding and Genetics at Cornell University. During her lecture, she will discuss her work focusing on disease and insect resistance to reduce the use of chemical sprays in vegetable production.
As a member of the first co-educational class at Fisher in 1971, Mutschler-Chu earned a B.S. in Biology in 1975. She then went on to earn her M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Plant Breeding and Genetics from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1977 and 1979, respectively. She has been a faculty member at Cornell since 1979, working as a Vegetable Breeder/Geneticist on tomatoes and onions. Her work focuses on disease and insect resistance to reduce the use of chemical sprays in vegetable production, benefiting growers, consumers, and the environment. In addition, she has worked on issues of intellectual property, having served as a member of the Board of Directors for the Cornell Research Foundation (1989–2004) and on the Cornell University Patent Policy Committee. Her work on university, health, and agricultural intellectual property has been published in periodicals and books.
At the lecture, the College will officially induct Mutschler-Chu into the Science and Technology Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame is located in the Skalny Science Center and was established in 2011 by the College’s Science and Technology Alumni Group. The purpose of the Hall of Fame is to recognize individuals who have made a significant contribution to science and/or technology, science education, medicine or health-related fields, or who are noteworthy for their service to their community or the College.
Latest College News Stories
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair