Accounting Club Holds Annual Golf Outing
Even the intense rain could not keep St. John Fisher College accounting students from participating in the Accounting Club’s annual golf outing at the College’s golf course on Saturday, September 21.
The unique event allows students to participate in a game of golf with Fisher alumni who have an accounting background. Many of these individuals work for local or national accounting firms in the Rochester area, but some come back simply to participate in the event.
Students say that an event that connects them with accounting professionals provides a tremendous networking opportunity, an important part of their development as they prepare to pursue a career with an accounting firm.
“This event helped me get to know different accounting firms and what their cultures are like. It will be a big help in the future when looking for additional opportunities,” said Jaydon O’Donnell, a junior accounting student.
Individuals from local accounting firms, as well the big four firms (KPMG, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Deloitte and Touche, Ernst and Young) attended the outing. Sue Conway, Human Resources Director at the Bonadio Group, said that the event is one of the best ways for students to get involved in a non-intimidating setting.
“It takes them out of their comfort zone, but allows them to be exposed to different employers. All companies bring something different to the table, and this allows students to find what they might be the most comfortable with,” said Conway.
Mark Bruno, Campus Sourcing Leader for PwC, agreed with the importance of networking.
“This isn’t really about golf, but about building relationships, and there is no reason every accounting student shouldn’t be here. They should be building relationships very early so they can begin to be known and be ready for upcoming opportunities,” said Bruno.
The winning team at the golf outing!
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Pie in the Face, Wear Pink Wednesday, Think Pink Bingo Planned for Cancer Awareness Week
- Martino ’71 to be Honored During Palvino Excellence in Communication Award Luncheon
- Checking the Box to Make a Difference
- Golf Tournament a Chance to Network for Accounting Club Members
- School of Nursing Students Walk to Support Suicide Prevention
- Melissa Bissonette Honored by Literacy Volunteers of Rochester
- Meet the Man behind the Basketball Brackets
- Chemistry Alum Wins Prestigious Gilliam Fellowship from Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Community Conversation: “It’s All About the Kids”
- School of Nursing Faculty Members Publish Study on Leadership in Nursing Education
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems