Faculty and Student Publish Article in Academic Journal
Douglas Llewellyn, adjunct faculty member for the graduate program in Mathematics/Science/ Technology Education (GMST), had two articles published in journals from the National Science Teachers Association - Science Scope and The Science Teacher. One of the articles was co-written by one of his students, Amanda Adams.
Both articles highlight the integrated teaching of scientific inquiry with argumentation (as fostered through the new Common Core Standards Initiative and the Next Generation Science Standards).
The Science Scope article was entitled, “Turning the Science Classroom into a Courtroom.” This is Adams’ first published article and the second time Llewellyn co-wrote an article with a student. Their article shows how middle school teachers can use a courtroom setting to introduce the notion of scientific argumentation and render a judgment based on supportive evidence. One unique suggestion the authors make is to put Goldilocks on trial while groups of students play various roles (prosecuting attorney, defense attorney, judge, and jury) during the courtroom process.
“Making and Defending Science Arguments,” published in the The Science Teacher, points out how high school teachers can assist students with making claims and explanations based upon scientific evidence.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference
- Fellowship Sends Journalism Instructor Back to the Newsroom
- Cooney Miner Selected to Participate in Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Perales Tapped to Serve as Fisher's Interim VP for Enrollment Management
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins