Faculty and Student Publish Article in Academic Journal
Douglas Llewellyn, adjunct faculty member for the graduate program in Mathematics/Science/ Technology Education (GMST), had two articles published in journals from the National Science Teachers Association - Science Scope and The Science Teacher. One of the articles was co-written by one of his students, Amanda Adams.
Both articles highlight the integrated teaching of scientific inquiry with argumentation (as fostered through the new Common Core Standards Initiative and the Next Generation Science Standards).
The Science Scope article was entitled, “Turning the Science Classroom into a Courtroom.” This is Adams’ first published article and the second time Llewellyn co-wrote an article with a student. Their article shows how middle school teachers can use a courtroom setting to introduce the notion of scientific argumentation and render a judgment based on supportive evidence. One unique suggestion the authors make is to put Goldilocks on trial while groups of students play various roles (prosecuting attorney, defense attorney, judge, and jury) during the courtroom process.
“Making and Defending Science Arguments,” published in the The Science Teacher, points out how high school teachers can assist students with making claims and explanations based upon scientific evidence.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Checking the Box to Make a Difference
- Golf Tournament a Chance to Network for Accounting Club Members
- School of Nursing Students Walk to Support Suicide Prevention
- Melissa Bissonette Honored by Literacy Volunteers of Rochester
- Meet the Man behind the Basketball Brackets
- Chemistry Alum Wins Prestigious Gilliam Fellowship from Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Community Conversation: “It’s All About the Kids”
- School of Nursing Faculty Members Publish Study on Leadership in Nursing Education
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems
- Nursing Students Spend Summer in Internships Learning Patient Care and More
- Oral History Project Shares Memories, Reflections from Pioneer Class