Faculty and Student Publish Article in Academic Journal
Douglas Llewellyn, adjunct faculty member for the graduate program in Mathematics/Science/ Technology Education (GMST), had two articles published in journals from the National Science Teachers Association - Science Scope and The Science Teacher. One of the articles was co-written by one of his students, Amanda Adams.
Both articles highlight the integrated teaching of scientific inquiry with argumentation (as fostered through the new Common Core Standards Initiative and the Next Generation Science Standards).
The Science Scope article was entitled, “Turning the Science Classroom into a Courtroom.” This is Adams’ first published article and the second time Llewellyn co-wrote an article with a student. Their article shows how middle school teachers can use a courtroom setting to introduce the notion of scientific argumentation and render a judgment based on supportive evidence. One unique suggestion the authors make is to put Goldilocks on trial while groups of students play various roles (prosecuting attorney, defense attorney, judge, and jury) during the courtroom process.
“Making and Defending Science Arguments,” published in the The Science Teacher, points out how high school teachers can assist students with making claims and explanations based upon scientific evidence.
Latest College News Stories
- 2013 Day of Celebration Set for Saturday, December 7
- Job Named Nurse Practitioner Student of the Year
- Student Entrepreneurs Mean Business
- Service-Learning and Science Collide in East Rochester Schools
- Fisher Alumni, Adjunct Recognized in Forty Under 40
- Fisher Football Marches on in NCAAs in Texas
- Box Town Raises Awareness Amidst Cold Temperatures
- Vatican Insider Gary Krupp to present at St. John Fisher College on December 6
- Gantner Holds Workshops in Mexico
- Education Faculty Co-Present at International Conference
- “Team Scott” Supports Dean’s Fight
- Fisher Makes “Best Colleges for Veterans” List
- Fisher Earns At-Large Bid to NCAA Championship
- College Dedicates Pellicano Pavilion
- Beta Gamma Sigma Co-Liaison Attends Student Leadership Forum