Faculty and Student Publish Article in Academic Journal
Douglas Llewellyn, adjunct faculty member for the graduate program in Mathematics/Science/ Technology Education (GMST), had two articles published in journals from the National Science Teachers Association - Science Scope and The Science Teacher. One of the articles was co-written by one of his students, Amanda Adams.
Both articles highlight the integrated teaching of scientific inquiry with argumentation (as fostered through the new Common Core Standards Initiative and the Next Generation Science Standards).
The Science Scope article was entitled, “Turning the Science Classroom into a Courtroom.” This is Adams’ first published article and the second time Llewellyn co-wrote an article with a student. Their article shows how middle school teachers can use a courtroom setting to introduce the notion of scientific argumentation and render a judgment based on supportive evidence. One unique suggestion the authors make is to put Goldilocks on trial while groups of students play various roles (prosecuting attorney, defense attorney, judge, and jury) during the courtroom process.
“Making and Defending Science Arguments,” published in the The Science Teacher, points out how high school teachers can assist students with making claims and explanations based upon scientific evidence.
Latest College News Stories
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair