Faculty and Student Publish Article in Academic Journal
Douglas Llewellyn, adjunct faculty member for the graduate program in Mathematics/Science/ Technology Education (GMST), had two articles published in journals from the National Science Teachers Association - Science Scope and The Science Teacher. One of the articles was co-written by one of his students, Amanda Adams.
Both articles highlight the integrated teaching of scientific inquiry with argumentation (as fostered through the new Common Core Standards Initiative and the Next Generation Science Standards).
The Science Scope article was entitled, “Turning the Science Classroom into a Courtroom.” This is Adams’ first published article and the second time Llewellyn co-wrote an article with a student. Their article shows how middle school teachers can use a courtroom setting to introduce the notion of scientific argumentation and render a judgment based on supportive evidence. One unique suggestion the authors make is to put Goldilocks on trial while groups of students play various roles (prosecuting attorney, defense attorney, judge, and jury) during the courtroom process.
“Making and Defending Science Arguments,” published in the The Science Teacher, points out how high school teachers can assist students with making claims and explanations based upon scientific evidence.
Latest College News Stories
- Buffalo/Niagara Alumni Chapter Presents Annual Awards
- Price Places 2nd in “Secrets to Successful Rollouts Revealed!” Video Contest
- Vega Receives Award from Ibero-American Action League
- College to Celebrate “Four Freedoms Week”
- Men’s Soccer Team Hosts Special Game for Special Olympics
- Nelson-Tuttle, Schultz Present Research at Narcolepsy Network’s Annual Conference
- Educational Assessment Effectiveness Team presents at 2014 Assessment Institute, Indianapolis
- 2014 Graduates Continue Service Through Rochester Youth Year Fellowship Program
- Schools of Business and Education Partner to Deliver BGS Annual Day of Service
- Faculty, Students Participate in Seneca Falls Dialogues
- MacDonald Wins Top Student Award
- Copeland Publishes and Presents at National Conference
- Donahue Presents at Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference
- Kunsch Elected New MBA Program Director
- Fisher Community Makes Strides Against Breast Cancer