College Celebrates Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
On Monday, January 21, St. John Fisher College hosted its annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration. The theme of this year's event was "Allow Freedom to Ring for All God’s Children,” and the event attracted 150 students, faculty, staff, and community members.
The keynote speaker was The Honorable Stephen T. Miller, Rochester City Court Judge and Executive Pastor of the Church of Love Faith Center, Inc. Miller was born and raised in Rochester, and earned a bachelor of arts in history and psychology from the State University of New York (SUNY) at Buffalo, and a master’s degree in education from Nazareth College. He also pursued his Juris Doctorate from SUNY Buffalo Law School.
Hon. Stephen T. Miller.
Miller was elected to City Court Judge in November 2005. He is a member of the Rochester Black Bar Association, the Franklin H. Williams Judicial Commission on Minorities, and the New York State Unified Court System. He has served on a variety of boards and committees over the years, including the YMCA of Greater Rochester. In 2006, Miller was honored for his service by the Rochester Teen Court with the “Hero” award. That same year, he was recognized by Wilson Magnet High School as a Distinguished Wilson Alumnus for success in the Rochester community, and named one of Rochester’s “Emerging African American Leaders” by the Democrat and Chronicle. In 2007, he was honored by the Austin Steward Foundation for his service and commitment to the Rochester community.
The celebration also included a dance performance by Fisher student Candace Benjamin and an original poetry reading by student Shaquille Payne.
As part of the celebration each year, the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs holds a hospitality kit drive. Donations of personal hygiene items from the campus community and the larger Rochester community poured in, and volunteers prepared the kits throughout the day on Monday. A total of 4,808 items were donated, creating 767 hospitality kits – beating last year’s total by 212! The kits will be delivered to local organizations including St. Joseph’s Neighborhood Center, A Meal and More, Saint’s Place, Sojourner House, Foundations of Hope Ministries, Mary’s Place, and Rochester Area Interfaith Hospitality Network.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes