Proietti’s Last Lecture Brings Hundreds Back to Classroom
It was the typical evening class scenario for Tom Proietti on April 17 as he said hello to the people entering the classroom, set his bottle of water next to the podium, and started lecturing. What was not typical for him, however, was that this would be his last lecture. The Student Activities Board (SAB) asked Proietti to be this year’s last lecturer, and lecture he did, to a large crowd of students, alumni, faculty, staff, friends, and family.
The event was also streamed live through Cardinal Television, opening up the lecture to a wider audience from across the country. Dozens of alumni tuned in to hear his final words.
And amidst rumors that he will return to the classroom next year, Proietti said that the event last week really was his last lecture. He said the event made things official for him, and the reality of his teaching career being over set in as soon as he arrived in Basil 135 that evening.
“I am not coming back to teach any courses. I will be here to assist with seminars and special events, but my time as a classroom teacher is over. I want students to have the best teachers possible, and I am not one of those right now. My heart is no longer there. I am so glad I recognized that. We have to know when to hold and know when to fold,” he said.
When asked if he could sum up his decades of teaching in a short sentence, he said, “I won the job lotto.” He added that he also won the wife lotto, children lotto, grandchildren lotto, and life lotto.
And so, he will move on from Fisher. He and his wife, Donna, have plans to spend a lot of time this fall in Italy. They will also carve out more time to visit Maryland and Massachusetts where their children and grandchildren live. But we are sure to see him back on campus from time to time.
Students and friends of Proietti will be hosting the "Roast of Tom Proietti" on Friday, April 26, at 7:00 p.m. in Basil 135. Donations will be accepted at the door, and will be put towards the Tom Proietti Scholarship Fund.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year