13th Annual Relay for Life Raises Over $30,000
There was plenty of “Hope in Hollywood” during the 13th Annual Relay for Life on Friday, April 11, when hundreds of students, faculty, staff, and community members showed up dressed as their favorite Hollywood actors and costumed to resemble their favorite movie. The College’s student organization, “Colleges Against Cancer” (CAC), along with the American Cancer Society (ACS), hosted the inspirational 12-hour event to celebrate and honor all those who have been affected by cancer.
Between the Fisher Relay and the Relay for Life held at Nazareth College, the two schools raised over $33,000, beating last year’s total. All proceeds will benefit the American Cancer Society.
Event co-chairs Catherine Fafone and Katie Augustine kicked off the event by welcoming the participants and thanking them for their dedication to both the event and the cause. Dr. Donald Bain, President of the College, applauded the students for their efforts before the event began. And one brave student, Lindsey Kocher, volunteered to shave her head live during the event.
Remarks during the “Celebrate” ceremony were delivered by Marisa Iacobelli ’16, a cancer survivor. During the “Remember” ceremony, Fisher’s retired Fire and Life Safety Officer, Ron Ange, provided remarks remembering his sister, Dr. Karyl Mammano, a former Professor of Accounting and Director of Nonprofit Management for the Center of Community Engagement at Fisher, who passed away last September. And Scott Swigart ’15, son of Dr. Scott Swigart, Dean of the Wegmans School of Pharmacy who is fighting pancreatic cancer, fittingly offered remarks during the “Fight Back” ceremony. Candace Kendall, a member of the Class of 2011 who was recently named Miss New York, returned to her alma mater to provide support to the event.
Latest College News Stories
- Swigart Posthumously Honored at Rochester Pharmacy Gala
- 2015 Lobene Lecture to Feature Best-Selling Author Dr. Sherry Turkle March 23
- President and Mrs. Bain Inducted into Camp Good Days’ Ring of Honor
- Madigan Receives Summer Fellowship in Ireland
- School of Arts and Sciences to Host Free Screening of “Shadows of the Lynching Tree”
- College to Host Storytelling Festival
- #MeetTheMedia with #FisherComm Thursday
- St. John Fisher College Top Ranked NYS Institution in 2014 CPA Exam Results
- Renfro Called Upon for Bush Family Expertise
- 2013 Alumnus Publishes Article in U.S. Naval Institute Magazine
- Students "Tapped" to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- March First Friday Lecture Focus is European Influence in Rochester
- Countdown to Commencement: Cole Lachance-Tofany
- Teddi Dance for Love Surpasses $1 Million Mark
- Miss Norma, Lackmann Honored by Parent Company