13th Annual Relay for Life Raises Over $30,000
There was plenty of “Hope in Hollywood” during the 13th Annual Relay for Life on Friday, April 11, when hundreds of students, faculty, staff, and community members showed up dressed as their favorite Hollywood actors and costumed to resemble their favorite movie. The College’s student organization, “Colleges Against Cancer” (CAC), along with the American Cancer Society (ACS), hosted the inspirational 12-hour event to celebrate and honor all those who have been affected by cancer.
Between the Fisher Relay and the Relay for Life held at Nazareth College, the two schools raised over $33,000, beating last year’s total. All proceeds will benefit the American Cancer Society.
Event co-chairs Catherine Fafone and Katie Augustine kicked off the event by welcoming the participants and thanking them for their dedication to both the event and the cause. Dr. Donald Bain, President of the College, applauded the students for their efforts before the event began. And one brave student, Lindsey Kocher, volunteered to shave her head live during the event.
Remarks during the “Celebrate” ceremony were delivered by Marisa Iacobelli ’16, a cancer survivor. During the “Remember” ceremony, Fisher’s retired Fire and Life Safety Officer, Ron Ange, provided remarks remembering his sister, Dr. Karyl Mammano, a former Professor of Accounting and Director of Nonprofit Management for the Center of Community Engagement at Fisher, who passed away last September. And Scott Swigart ’15, son of Dr. Scott Swigart, Dean of the Wegmans School of Pharmacy who is fighting pancreatic cancer, fittingly offered remarks during the “Fight Back” ceremony. Candace Kendall, a member of the Class of 2011 who was recently named Miss New York, returned to her alma mater to provide support to the event.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year