A Holiday Message From The President
As each of us prepares for the holiday season, it is important to reflect on all that we have accomplished this semester as a campus community. Allow me to share some of the highlights:
-In September, we welcomed the largest new student class in our 62-year history. This brought the College to a record level of enrollment, crossing over the 4,000-student threshold for the first time.
-Homecoming/Reunion Weekend brought the public announcement of the Vision 2020 Campaign, complete with the presentation of a gift for $1.6 million from the Class of 1960, bringing our total amount raised to nearly $38 million. Later that weekend, we broke ground for the long-awaited Polisseni Track and Field Complex. The Polisseni project will add seven men’s and women’s varsity sports to our highly successful athletic programs.
-The School of Arts and Sciences continues to provide strong majors with Core and Learning Community offerings at the center of our academic mission. Under the leadership of Dr. Jim Bowers, a new major in Legal Studies was established this year that will contribute to the tradition of preparing Fisher students for law school, the legal profession, and the judiciary. It will also help add to our 420 alumni attorneys and judges who are members of the St. John Fisher College Justinian Order.
-The School of Education received the 2010 Middle School Education Award from the New York State Middle School Association (NYSMSA) during its annual conference this fall.
-The results of the 2010 North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination are in, and graduates of the Wegmans School of Pharmacy fared extremely well. In fact, 96% of the College’s first graduating class of pharmacists passed the examination, compared to 90% for the state of New York and 92% nationally.
-This semester, the Bittner School of Business welcomed a new dean, Dr. David Martin, and a new assistant dean, Ms. Lori Hollenbeck, both of whom have moved into their new roles with lightning speed.
-A group of faculty, staff, and trustees, working with Co-Chairs Dr. Gerry Rooney and Dean Dave Pate, participated in the Online Education Task Force. This group worked diligently to put together its recommendations for our initial entry strategy into this very important segment of higher education.
-A cohort of 48 clinically prepared, continuing and new nursing students has been admitted for a January 2011 start date. This represents an increase of 16 students over the previous two years, where cohorts of 32 have been admitted, and underscores the demand for nurses in the greater Rochester area.
We have been blessed again this year with sound finances, solid academic growth, and positive outcomes for our students. Please accept my gratitude for all you do to support the College and its mission. And, in the spirit of Christmas, both Meg and I extend our best wishes for a wonderful holiday and a healthy New Year.
Donald E. Bain, Ph. D.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program