Students, Faculty to Present at Rochester Academy of Science Paper Session Saturday on Campus
On Saturday, November 10, the Rochester Academy of Science will hold its 39th Annual Fall Scientific Paper Session on campus, and several Fisher faculty and students will be poster session presenters and featured speakers.
The Biology Department and the School of Arts and Sciences will host the session and public lecture. Dr. Nicholas Calderone, Cornell University, will serve as the guest lecturer and will present, "The Health of Honey Bees - Why Should You Care?" at 1:30 p.m. in Cleary Auditorium. Calderone conducts research and teaches in Cornell’s Department of Entomology. His primary responsibilities include studying honey bees and developing programs to solve problems that face the beekeeping industry. The lecture is free and open to the public.
Fisher faculty and student presentations will include:
- “A Partnership Between College and High School Students to Monitor Levels of Nutrients in Buckland Creek” – Dr. Kimberly Chichester, Dr. Kristina Lantzky, Dr. Lynn Donahue, and Dr. Irene Kimaru
- “Plant DNA Barcoding as an Experiential College Laboratory” – Dr. Mike Boller
- “Isolation and Identification of Antibiotic Resistance in Bacterial Samples from Lake Ontario” –Aaron Spacher (student), Dr. Maryann Herman
Fisher faculty and students presenting posters include:
- “Synthesis and Characterization of a Series of New Peptide-Based Chiral Ionic Liquids” – Dr. Irene Kimaru
- “Validation of a Raman Spectroscopy Method for Quantitative Analysis of Pharmaceutical Compounds” – Dr. Kimberly Chichester
- “Exploration of Novel Phosphorus(III) Complexes of 2-Hydroxopyridine N-Oxide” – Amber Wiltse (student), Dr. Brad Kraft
- “Arctigenin Improves Glucose Tolerance in a Strain of Mighty Mice” – Mohammad Husain Bawany (student), Dr. Kathleen Savage
- “Effects of BPA on Steroid Hormone Receptor MRNA’s in Zebrafish” – Lindsay Sturnick (student), Dr. Edward Freeman
- “Bacterial Isolation from the Genesee River and Characterization of Antibiotic Resistance” – Sarah Bowen (student), Dr. Maryann Herman
Biology Department faculty Drs. Maryann Herman, Mike Boller, Noveera Ahmed, and Greg Cunningham served as conference co-chairs. Funding was provided by the School of Arts and Sciences and the Provost. For a complete event schedule, stop by registration Saturday morning between 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. in the Wegmans School of Pharmacy atrium.
The Rochester Academy of Science, Inc. has been promoting interest in the natural sciences since 1881, with special focus on the Western New York State region.
Latest College News Stories
- School of Arts and Sciences to Host Free Screening of “Shadows of the Lynching Tree”
- College to Host Storytelling Festival
- #MeetTheMedia with #FisherComm Thursday
- St. John Fisher College Top Ranked NYS Institution in 2014 CPA Exam Results
- Renfro Called Upon for Bush Family Expertise
- 2013 Alumnus Publishes Article in U.S. Naval Institute Magazine
- Students "Tapped" to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- March First Friday Lecture Focus is European Influence in Rochester
- Countdown to Commencement: Cole Lachance-Tofany
- Teddi Dance for Love Surpasses $1 Million Mark
- Miss Norma, Lackmann Honored by Parent Company
- 33rd Annual Teddi Dance Reveals Packed 24-Hour Schedule
- Health & Wellness Center to Recognize National Eating Disorders Awareness Week
- Young Camper to be Remembered at Teddi Dance
- Teddi Committee Hosts “Very Beary Brunch”