Nursing Adjunct Faculty Receive “DAISY Award” from Strong
Two Wegmans School of Nursing adjunct faculty members recently received the DAISY Award from Strong Memorial Hospital, recognizing them for their extraordinary clinical skill and compassionate care. Megan Finch is the current DAISY Award honoree, and Dan Sokac ’08, RN, BSN, was the previous quarter’s honoree. Both are clinical adjuncts at Fisher.
Finch works on the Medical Intensive Care Unit at Strong, and she is currently enrolled in the Family Nurse Practitioner Program.
“Being a nurse is an honor. You get to walk patients and families through the worst moments in their lives and help make the experience more bearable. I tell my students all the time that being a nurse changes you; it makes you stronger, and teaches you humility. It’s a one-of-a-kind job,” she said.
Sokac has been working at Strong in the Burn/Trauma ICU since graduating from Fisher. He was touched by the honor after learning about its history.
“Many staff members go out of their way each day for their patients, and I feel very humbled to be recognized. I am privileged to work in a great unit with lots of teamwork,” said Sokac.
The DAISY Foundation was established in 2000 by the family of J. Patrick Barnes who died at the age of 33 due to complications of the auto-immune disease Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (ITP); DAISY is an acronym for diseases attacking the immune system. The Barnes family was struck by the care and compassion provided by the nurses, and wanted to do something to recognize nurses everywhere who “make an enormous difference in the lives of so many people by the super-human work they do every day.” Strong Memorial Hospital is one of the foundation’s partners, and recognizes one nurse every month or quarter.
Honorees are recognized at a public ceremony in her/his unit and receive a certificate, an award pin, and a hand-carved stone sculpture entitled “A Healer’s Touch.”
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program