#FisherCares Day Sparks Renewed Sense of Community
Hundreds of students, faculty, and staff swarmed the Campus Center Mainstage throughout the day on 11/12/13 – the College’s first #FisherCares Day.
Inside the Mainstage doors was a room full of caring, and a room full of those eager to volunteer. Tables were peppered throughout the room with a variety of community service projects, canned goods were being collected, and a volunteer fair was taking place – all in the name of #FisherCares.
Organizers said the goal of the one-day event was to bring awareness to all of the ways that #FisherCares, and to continue to spread a sense of caring and ethics to everyone on campus.
By the end of the day, volunteers were busy counting donated items and community services projects to see how the efforts paid off. Here is a glimpse of some the ways Fisher cared on 11/12/13:
- 24 Friendly Home residents will receive holiday cards
- 29 soldiers who will spend the holidays overseas will receive letters written by students
- 30 young patients at Golisano Children’s Hospital and Mount Hope Family Center will stay warm with fleece blankets
- The Lollypop Farm will have 32 new toys to share with cats at the shelter
- Volunteers also created 34 custom coloring books and 98 school supply kits
- Rape Crisis Services will receive 72 items to use in toiletry kits
- 126 items of clothing were collected
- 1,092 canned goods and donated food items will be delivered to the Pittsford Food Cupboard
#FisherCares Media Coverage:
Residence Directors Tiffany Lamberton, Kara Crosson, and Amanda Nasso.
Students and staff make blankets.
A "canstruction" made out of donated canned goods!
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems
- Nursing Students Spend Summer in Internships Learning Patient Care and More
- Oral History Project Shares Memories, Reflections from Pioneer Class
- Service Trips Defining Experience for Pharmacy Students
- October First Friday Lecture Explores Evolving Nature of Science Education
- Center for Youth Honors Fisher’s Rick DeJesús-Rueff
- Optics and Extraterrestrials the Focus of Oct. 13 Loss Lecture
- Fisher Wins Courage Bowl XI in Double Overtime
- Grant Funds Substance Abuse Screening and Intervention Training for Pharmacy, Nursing, and Mental Health Counseling Students
- Martin Mucci Named Inaugural Influential Leader from AACSB
- Dialogues Explore Issues of Race, Equity, and Justice