College Receives “Mentoring Matters” Grant from First Niagara Bank
St. John Fisher College has received a $40,000 grant from the First Niagara Foundation that will help fund the continuation of a mentoring initiative started in 2012 between the College and the World of Inquiry School No. 58.
The First Niagara Foundation announced a donation of $1.0 million across its regional footprint to fund 33 community-based recipient organizations, which will directly support more than 45,000 youth participants in proven mentoring programs. St. John Fisher College was one of three recipients in the Rochester region.
The College’s grant project serves seventh and eighth grade students and their teachers, and provides a mentoring/tutoring enrichment program, professional development opportunities, and a summer literacy clinic.
Recipients were chosen based on their program’s design to help close the achievement gap, help children improve school attendance and performance, prevent substance abuse and behavioral problems, and give at-risk youth a chance to reach their potential, whether it be in college or the work place.
Since the program's inception in 2007, First Niagara has provided more than $5.25 million in financial support for mentoring programs in all of the communities it serves.
Latest College News Stories
- Pharmacy Students Place in Top 10 at National Clinical Skills Competition
- Bowman Publishes “Narratives of Cyprus”
- Countdown to Commencement: Brendan Hughes
- Race, Equity, and Justice Programs Planned for Spring
- Coexistence Dinner Encourages Dialogue, Spirituality
- Cameron and Michaud Named 2014-2015 Recipients of Excellus Undergraduate Diversity Scholarship
- Lazardeux Co-Authors Article, Publishes Book
- Proietti ’67 to Serve as Guest Lecturer for February First Friday Lecture
- Countdown to Commencement: Trisha Sanfilippo
- “Autumn Leaves” Exhibit Now on Display in Patricia O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Week Taking Place January 19-24
- Lavery Library to Host Traveling Lincoln Exhibition
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Class of 2018 Receives White Coats
- Five School of Education Faculty Present in D.C.
- College Receives Prestigious Carnegie Community Engagement Classification