College Receives “Mentoring Matters” Grant from First Niagara Bank
St. John Fisher College has received a $40,000 grant from the First Niagara Foundation that will help fund the continuation of a mentoring initiative started in 2012 between the College and the World of Inquiry School No. 58.
The First Niagara Foundation announced a donation of $1.0 million across its regional footprint to fund 33 community-based recipient organizations, which will directly support more than 45,000 youth participants in proven mentoring programs. St. John Fisher College was one of three recipients in the Rochester region.
The College’s grant project serves seventh and eighth grade students and their teachers, and provides a mentoring/tutoring enrichment program, professional development opportunities, and a summer literacy clinic.
Recipients were chosen based on their program’s design to help close the achievement gap, help children improve school attendance and performance, prevent substance abuse and behavioral problems, and give at-risk youth a chance to reach their potential, whether it be in college or the work place.
Since the program's inception in 2007, First Niagara has provided more than $5.25 million in financial support for mentoring programs in all of the communities it serves.
Latest College News Stories
- Welcome Class of 2018!
- First-Year Pharmacy Students Include Service in Orientation
- Markwick Chosen for AANP Future Leaders Program
- Wischnowski Appointed to Diocesan School Board
- School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
- Lavigne Presents at International Social Pharmacy Workshop
- Students, Faculty Complete Summer Research at University of Rochester
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students, Faculty Travel to Montana for Service
- Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
- Fisher Ranks on Forbes' 2014 "America's Best Colleges" List
- Wegmans School of Nursing Partners with Rochester General Hospital for “Resident Boot Camp”
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course