College Receives “Mentoring Matters” Grant from First Niagara Bank
St. John Fisher College has received a $40,000 grant from the First Niagara Foundation that will help fund the continuation of a mentoring initiative started in 2012 between the College and the World of Inquiry School No. 58.
The First Niagara Foundation announced a donation of $1.0 million across its regional footprint to fund 33 community-based recipient organizations, which will directly support more than 45,000 youth participants in proven mentoring programs. St. John Fisher College was one of three recipients in the Rochester region.
The College’s grant project serves seventh and eighth grade students and their teachers, and provides a mentoring/tutoring enrichment program, professional development opportunities, and a summer literacy clinic.
Recipients were chosen based on their program’s design to help close the achievement gap, help children improve school attendance and performance, prevent substance abuse and behavioral problems, and give at-risk youth a chance to reach their potential, whether it be in college or the work place.
Since the program's inception in 2007, First Niagara has provided more than $5.25 million in financial support for mentoring programs in all of the communities it serves.
Latest College News Stories
- Martínez-Hernández, Rovira-Figueroa, and Eaton presented at STANYS Conference
- Alumna Releases Romance Novel
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee Host Olympics for Wilson Foundation Academy
- Alumna Named President of Roberts Communications
- Alumna Shares Journey with Cushing’s Disease with Nursing Students
- Rhone Attends BGS Student Leadership Fall Forum
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- St. John Fisher College’s 12th Justinian Medal Presented to Michael R. Law, Esq. ’69
- Students Receive Dante Scholarship from Italian Women’s Civic Club
- Madigan to Serve as Guest Lecturer for December First Friday Lecture
- Investment Club Travels to New York City
- Student Athletes “Scare Away Brain Cancer” in Honor of Teammate
- Veterans Affairs Club, President Bain Host Veterans Day Celebration
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 12th Annual Philosophy Day
- St. John Fisher College and Herkimer College Announce 2+2 Partnership Agreement