College Receives “Mentoring Matters” Grant from First Niagara Bank
St. John Fisher College has received a $40,000 grant from the First Niagara Foundation that will help fund the continuation of a mentoring initiative started in 2012 between the College and the World of Inquiry School No. 58.
The First Niagara Foundation announced a donation of $1.0 million across its regional footprint to fund 33 community-based recipient organizations, which will directly support more than 45,000 youth participants in proven mentoring programs. St. John Fisher College was one of three recipients in the Rochester region.
The College’s grant project serves seventh and eighth grade students and their teachers, and provides a mentoring/tutoring enrichment program, professional development opportunities, and a summer literacy clinic.
Recipients were chosen based on their program’s design to help close the achievement gap, help children improve school attendance and performance, prevent substance abuse and behavioral problems, and give at-risk youth a chance to reach their potential, whether it be in college or the work place.
Since the program's inception in 2007, First Niagara has provided more than $5.25 million in financial support for mentoring programs in all of the communities it serves.
Latest College News Stories
- Adjunct Faculty Recognized During Appreciation Reception
- Bain Stops in Philadelphia for Farewell Tour
- Mary Ellen Milne Awards Recognize Exceptional Student Employees
- Symposium Remembers Marshall McLuhan
- Fisher Honors Rochester Radio Icon during Room Dedication
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 61st Commencement; Rudolph Giuliani to Serve as Keynote Speaker
- Education, Chemistry Professors Publish Article for Educational Research International
- Deacon Jewell Pens Article for United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Fisher Student-Athletes Participate in the 5th Annual Giant Read
- Statistics Student Will Attend Summer Institute in Biostatistics
- Motivational Speaker Joe Erhmann Addresses Fisher Student-Athletes
- Fisher Senior Earns Fulbright to Turkey
- Workshop Connects Rochester Cultural Organizations to Grant Resources
- Fisher Lights the Steeple Blue for Child Advocacy Month
- Alumni Tour Campus with Mrs. Bain