Investment Club Hosts Annual Shareholders’ Report Dinner
On Thursday, April 3, the St. John Fisher College School of Business Investment Club hosted its fifth annual Shareholders’ Report Dinner, featuring keynote speaker Anton Schutz, founding President and CIO of Mendon Capital Advisors Corp.
During the dinner, students also presented a detailed report on the club’s activities and investment portfolio for the 2013-14 academic year and revealed the winners of a separate stock-picking contest.
In his presentation, Schutz encouraged students to always conduct their own research to ensure that they have a comprehensive understanding of any information they are using when it comes to making investment decisions. In addition, he asked the students to consider reinvesting in financial funds as part of their portfolio. Lastly, he reminded them that being successful is measured not only by net worth, but for him, also by the quality of life that his career Rochester has afforded him.
Club President, Robert Nash, was very pleased with the turnout and support at this year’s event.
“The shareholder's dinner this year was the best one I’ve attended. Our portfolio achieved record returns enabling us to share our decision-making process and strategies used this year,” he said.
Bob Fischer, President of Fischer Investment Group and underwriter of the award, issued certificates to the three winners of the club’s stock-picking contest. The winners, who are all freshmen, included: Adam Moran, Finance, who placed first; Stephen McCann, Accounting, in second place; and in third place, John Friedel, Undeclared.
The Student Investment Club was established in 2009, and gives students the opportunity to gain real-world experience managing a small portfolio and making investment decisions. The club offers undergraduate and graduate students an opportunity to increase their financial literacy and participate in investment portfolio management with an endowment. This year, the club invited guest speakers from the investment field to attend meetings; traveled to New York City where they visited financial landmarks including the New York Stock Exchange, Cantor Fitzgerald, and the Quinnipiac GAME Forum; and actively managed an endowment of approximately $43,000.
Latest College News Stories
- Digital Cultures Student Show Opening Reception March 12
- Lavery Library Host to “The Irish and the American Civil War” Exhibit, Opening Ceremony March 15
- Swigart Posthumously Honored at Rochester Pharmacy Gala
- 2015 Lobene Lecture to Feature Best-Selling Author Dr. Sherry Turkle March 23
- President and Mrs. Bain Inducted into Camp Good Days’ Ring of Honor
- Madigan Receives Summer Fellowship in Ireland
- School of Arts and Sciences to Host Free Screening of “Shadows of the Lynching Tree”
- College to Host Storytelling Festival
- #MeetTheMedia with #FisherComm Thursday
- St. John Fisher College Top Ranked NYS Institution in 2014 CPA Exam Results
- Renfro Called Upon for Bush Family Expertise
- 2013 Alumnus Publishes Article in U.S. Naval Institute Magazine
- Students "Tapped" to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- March First Friday Lecture Focus is European Influence in Rochester
- Countdown to Commencement: Cole Lachance-Tofany