Service-Learning Course Hosts Life Skills Event
Students in adjunct professor Lee Chase’s Social Change Through Service course hosted a Life Skills Fair at Sojourner House on December 6, educating individuals on topics such as preparing for job interviews, education, stress management, and budgeting finances.
Student Amanda Cammarano created a presentation booth for the fair titled, “College 101.” She distributed information packets about the college application process, and shared tips about what to expect.
“I also incorporated tips I learned as I went through the process myself that may be beneficial to the people who attended the fair,” said Cammarano.
Student Erin Haffey presented information on stress and stress management, discussing warning signs of stress and healthy alternatives to dealing with it. Additionally, she created a hands-on project for the attendees and made stress balls.
Twenty women and their children attended the event, and according to Chase, the students put in at least 15 to 20 hours each working independently and as a group to prepare for the fair.
“I was very impressed with how these students worked together and coordinated their efforts,” said Chase. “Throughout the semester, they worked mostly with the children who live at Sojourner House, and the fair was the capstone project.”
Students from L to R: Katie Tryniski, Sarah Miller, Erin Haffey, Nick Boberskyj, John LaDelfa, Lindsay Bolland, Amanda Cammarano
Latest College News Stories
- Cooking Up a Sustainable First Friday Lecture October 3
- Nicolay Publishes Monograph
- Cleaner and Greener – College Introduces New Trash and Recycling Centers Campuswide
- Trustee Ronald Hermance, Jr. ’69 Passes Away
- College Welcomes New Faculty for 2014-15 Academic Year
- Get Involved at Involvement Fest Next Tuesday
- Exchanging Courses and Lives
- St. John Fisher College Recognized on List of America’s Best Colleges 2015
- Wegmans School of Nursing Introduces Dedicated Education Unit Clinical Site to Students
- Courage Bowl X Slated for September 20, Fisher to Face Brockport
- Pittsford High School AP Chemistry Students work with Fisher Faculty on Project, Presentation
- Chemistry Faculty Members Present at Biennial Conference on Chemical Education
- Sashittal Publishes Book, Article
- Welcome Class of 2018!
- First-Year Pharmacy Students Include Service in Orientation