Fisher Named to President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll
On March 4, the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) announced the colleges and universities included in this year’s President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, which honors the nation’s leading colleges and universities, students, faculty members, and staff for their commitment to bettering their communities through community service and service-learning. For the seventh year in a row, St. John Fisher College was among the 113 institutions that earned the recognition of Honor Roll with Distinction for its service work both locally and globally.
“We congratulate the awardees and the students for their dedication to service,” said Wendy Spencer, CEO of CNCS. “These institutions have inspired students and faculty alike to roll up their sleeves and work alongside members of the community to solve problems and improve their neighbors’ lives.”
The CNCS, which has administered the Honor Roll since 2006, admitted a total of 690 higher education institutions to the 2013 President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll. In addition to the 113 institutions that earned the recognition of Honor Roll with Distinction, 12 were identified as finalists, and five received the Presidential Award. CNCS manages the program in collaboration with the U.S. Department of Education and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, as well as the American Council on Education and Campus Compact.
“Communities are strengthened when we all come together, and we are encouraged that these institutions and their students have made service a priority,” said U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan. “Civic engagement should be a key component of every student’s educational experience. Through reaching out to meet the needs of their neighbors, these students are deepening their impact, strengthening our democracy, and ultimately preparing themselves to be successful citizens.”
Service has always been central to the mission of St. John Fisher College, encouraging the formation of student-run clubs and organizations including Students With A Vision (SWAV), Colleges Against Cancer, Teddi Committee, and more. Last May, a group of students, faculty, and staff traveled to Kingston, Jamaica, to volunteer at the Jamaican Advantage Thru Sports for Youth (JASY) Day Camp. And this week, Fisher partnered with Alternative Spring Breaks (ASB), and sent a group of 11 students, faculty, and staff to the Appalachian region of Kentucky where they are engaging in a variety of service projects.
“It is an honor for the College to receive this recognition for seven years running,” said Dr. Donald Bain, President of St. John Fisher College. “We are dedicated to our mission of helping men and women build lives, create careers, and serve the community, and we take great pride in our students and alumni, along with their commitment to service.”
According to the CNCS, in 2012, 3.1 million college students dedicated more than 118 million hours of service across the country — a contribution valued at $2.5 billion.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference