Student Athlete Advisory Committee Joins Empire 8 for Breast Cancer Awareness
The St. John Fisher College Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) is coming together with other Empire 8 schools to raise awareness for breast cancer in honor of an alumna who recently beat the disease.
The SAAC will spread the awareness at two athletic events on Saturday, October 20. Student athletes will be selling pink ribbons at Saturday’s men’s soccer game against Stevens Institute of Technology at noon and the football game against Ithaca College at 4:00 p.m. Two coaches have also volunteered to take a pie-in-the-face for the cause. Sean Coffey, assistant men’s basketball coach, and Kerri Brown, assistant women’s lacrosse coach, will be waiting for pies in their faces during halftime of each game. Participants should bring $5.00 and a good throwing arm.
The money raised during the event will go to the American Cancer Society in honor of Rochelle Meinking, a former Fisher women’s basketball player who has recently battled the disease. She is now in remission.
The Empire 8 Breast Cancer Awareness Initiative is being embraced by the Empire 8 schools throughout the month of October with a variety of events and fundraisers.
Check out photos from Relay for Life 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Class of 2016 to Graduate from St. John Fisher College Saturday
- Awards Recognize Excellence within the School of Pharmacy
- Fisher Students Contribute to Freshman Survival Guide
- Professor Shares Business Expertise through Fulbright, Aims to Erupt Economic Development on Volcanic Island of Rodrigues
- Chemistry Students Present Research at Regional Symposium
- Unither Scholars Program Benefits Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students
- Speed Networking Connects Students, Industry Leaders
- Ceremony Honors Service-Learning Efforts at Fisher