Sweetheart Ball is a Sweet Success
Students from St. John Fisher College’s Students With A Vision (SWAV) and residents of The Friendly Home celebrated Valentine’s Day together with the annual Sweetheart Ball.
Nearly 30 student volunteers prepared for the event for weeks, sending formal invitations to each resident and decorating the Home’s auditorium. The music featured old and new songs that catered to both generations, and a pair of professional ballroom dancers taught students the fox trot, cha-cha, the waltz, and other popular dances the residents grew up with.
“The Sweetheart Ball is a wonderful intergenerational opportunity where young people and seniors are engaged, not only sharing music and dance but creating memories of a special time with new friends,” said Janet Tiefel, Recreation Director at The Friendly Home.
At the end of the event, students handed out single carnations to all of the residents.
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- President Rooney Given Top Award by Local Public Relations Association
- Human Resources Student Organization Earns Recognition from National Chapter
- O’Keefe Ross Gallery Exhibit Showcases Rochester Art Club Member Work
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Rev. Patrick O’Conner Braden, C.S.B., Third President of the College
- Parades, Festivals Mark Fun for Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Pilot Program Leads to Successful Residency Matches
- For Volunteers, JASY Camp an Unforgettable Experience
- Summer Construction Projects Mean Campus Enhancements, Upgrades