Community Benefits from 2013 Project Community Convergence
As the semester winds down and the pressure of finals week starts to creep closer, nearly 140 St. John Fisher College students decided to roll up their sleeves to volunteer for the 2013 Project Community Convergence (PCC), led by Students With A Vision (SWAV).
On Saturday, April 13, and Saturday, April 20, the students spent their days in five Rochester City Schools providing them with a makeover. Schools No. 2, 7, 10, 34, and Monroe High School were the lucky recipients of these efforts. At Monroe and School No. 2, the group organized classrooms and closets. And Schools No. 7, 10, and 34 received freshly painted classrooms. In addition, the volunteers stationed at School No. 34 spread mulch and cleaned up the grass around the school during the first weekend.
Brandie Rice, one of the co-coordinators of the event, has been working with the committee since the beginning of the school year to prepare and finalize all of the details leading up to PCC.
“I volunteered last year for PCC and loved being able to help the Rochester community, especially in the schools. I am an education major, which is why I was inspired to help plan and coordinate the event,” said Rice. “This entire event depends on the volunteers who willingly give their time to the Rochester community and we had very flexible and cooperative volunteers!”
Additional event support was provided by the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs, Resident Student Association, Commuter Council, Student Government Association, and the Teacher Education Student Association.
Latest College News Stories
- Wegmans School of Nursing Awards First Advanced Certificate in Mental Health Counseling
- Cooking Up a Sustainable First Friday Lecture October 3
- Nicolay Publishes Monograph
- Cleaner and Greener – College Introduces New Trash and Recycling Centers Campuswide
- Trustee Ronald Hermance, Jr. ’69 Passes Away
- College Welcomes New Faculty for 2014-15 Academic Year
- Get Involved at Involvement Fest Next Tuesday
- Exchanging Courses and Lives
- St. John Fisher College Recognized on List of America’s Best Colleges 2015
- Wegmans School of Nursing Introduces Dedicated Education Unit Clinical Site to Students
- Courage Bowl X Slated for September 20, Fisher to Face Brockport
- Pittsford High School AP Chemistry Students work with Fisher Faculty on Project, Presentation
- Chemistry Faculty Members Present at Biennial Conference on Chemical Education
- Sashittal Publishes Book, Article
- Welcome Class of 2018!