Lavery Library to Host “Remains to be Seen” Exhibit
Beginning on Monday, February 3, the Lavery Library Lower Level Gallery will host a new exhibit entitled "Remains to be Seen,” showcasing the work of Rochester artist Steven Lee-Davis. An opening reception and lecture will take place on Thursday, February 13, from 5:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Both are free and open to the public.
Lee-Davis grew up in a small town in Hawaii, nestled among the sugar cane plantations, waterfalls, and high cliffs of the Hamakua coast. As he grew into his teen years, his interests favored fantasy stories and mythology. He learned that drawing was a perfect vehicle to communicate stories and express emotions. Much of his early artwork was influenced by fantasy art masters the Brothers Hildebrandt, Frank Frazetta, and Allen Lee.
He received his BFA from Goddard College, and went on to graduate school at the Massachusetts College of Art to earn a master's degree in Art Education with a focus in Studio Arts. After graduating, he met the master wood-engraver, Barry Moser, and worked as his studio assistant. Moser introduced him to the craft of wood engraving and the finer points of printmaking. Recently, he was accepted as a Roycroft Artisan earning the honor to display his prints with the double-R symbol indicating his status.
Lee-Davis maintains a home studio in Rochester, and prints on various presses at the Printing and Book Arts Center. He has taught extensively, ranging from early childhood to adults, and has sold work throughout the country.
More of his work can be found online at www.StudioLeeDavis.com and Etsy. It can also be seen at the Gallery Store of the Memorial Art Gallery in Rochester, Coppershop Gallery in East Aurora, and Main Street Arts Gallery in Clifton Springs. The exhibit will be on display in the Lavery Library Lower Level Gallery until March 28.
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Advice Straight from the Orientation Team
- New Greater Amsterdam School District Superintendent an Ed.D. Grad
- Bills Selected to Attend Workshop on Medicinal Chemistry
- Fisher Launches New TV Campaign
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Full Accreditation
- Comedian, Former Presidential Speech Writer Headline Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Pharmacy Students Earn 100 Percent Pass Rate on New York State Licensing Exam
- A Voice for the Community: Pharmacy Professor Serves on Advisory Board for Global HIV Vaccine Study