Student Athletes Host Giant Read
For the third year in a row, St. John Fisher College student-athletes hosted the Giant Read, traveling to General Elwell S. Otis School No. 30 to read The Lion and the Little Red Bird by Elisa Kleven.
The annual event is part of the READ: Hope in Action Program that is designed to promote literacy in Rochester city schools. The program was started in 2007 at the Rochester Institute of Technology by Chandra McKenzie, RIT's Assistant Provost of Academic Affairs, and Lou Spiotti, Director of Athletics and Recreation.
The trip was organized by Fisher's Student Athlete Advisory Committee. In addition to reading the book, the Cardinals helped the children complete a reflection activity, discussed life as a student-athlete, and answered the first graders’ questions.
Matt Silvi, a member of the men's soccer team, reads during the Giant Read.
Women's soccer player Caitlin Cottone with one of the School No. 30 students.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins Today
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference
- School of Ed Alum Receives Transformational Leader Award from Nursing Organization