Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
St. John Fisher College will offer a new Sustainability minor at the start of the 2014 academic year.
The interdisciplinary minor will fall under a new Sustainability Program that includes courses from across the School of Arts and Sciences. The interdisciplinary minor will combine a core of biology, philosophy, and economics with a selection of electives from biology, chemistry, English, economics, mathematics, peace and social justice, and philosophy. Students will establish a foundational competency in environmental science, ethics, economics, and policy through the required classes and link to their major interests with electives.
“The economic and societal issues related to sustainability are increasingly important to employers, and this program will prepare students to address this important societal issue,” said Dr. Michael Boller, Sustainability Program Director and Associate Professor in the Department of Biology. “Our goal is to prepare them to become more engaged members of society and effect positive change in their fields.”
Some of the courses include: Environmental Issues, Principles of Microeconomics, Environmental Ethics, A Sustainable Future, Ecology, Nature Writing, Global Issues and French Film: The Environment, Mathematical Modeling, and more. The program will also have a service-learning components.
Most recently, the College became a member of the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education, an organization of colleges and universities that are working to advance sustainability in higher education.
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year
- College to Host Annual Day of Celebration