Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
St. John Fisher College will offer a new Sustainability minor at the start of the 2014 academic year.
The interdisciplinary minor will fall under a new Sustainability Program that includes courses from across the School of Arts and Sciences. The interdisciplinary minor will combine a core of biology, philosophy, and economics with a selection of electives from biology, chemistry, English, economics, mathematics, peace and social justice, and philosophy. Students will establish a foundational competency in environmental science, ethics, economics, and policy through the required classes and link to their major interests with electives.
“The economic and societal issues related to sustainability are increasingly important to employers, and this program will prepare students to address this important societal issue,” said Dr. Michael Boller, Sustainability Program Director and Associate Professor in the Department of Biology. “Our goal is to prepare them to become more engaged members of society and effect positive change in their fields.”
Some of the courses include: Environmental Issues, Principles of Microeconomics, Environmental Ethics, A Sustainable Future, Ecology, Nature Writing, Global Issues and French Film: The Environment, Mathematical Modeling, and more. The program will also have a service-learning components.
Most recently, the College became a member of the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education, an organization of colleges and universities that are working to advance sustainability in higher education.
Latest College News Stories
- Investment Club Students, Finance Pros Celebrate During Shareholders’ Report Dinner
- Relay for Life Celebrates, Remembers, and Fights Against Cancer
- Countdown to Commencement: Tyrese Bryant
- Dr. Theresa Westbay Named Interim Dean of St. John Fisher College School of Arts and Sciences
- Catch Ballroom Thieves Live at Fisher
- April First Friday Lecture Explores Italian American Identity
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year