Studying the Summer Abroad
For college students, summers are typically reserved for working to build their bank accounts back up, relaxing, catching up with friends and family from home, and mentally preparing for the next academic year. But, several Fisher students, including Deepika Sivakumar, took advantage of one of the many summer study-abroad programs offered by the College.
Sivakumar, a junior biology major who is minoring in Spanish for the Health Professions and foreign language, traveled to Italy with six fellow Fisher students in the Fisher in Italy program, studying in Florence this summer. The group returned home on July 3.
“It has always been a dream of mine to go to Italy, so when I had the opportunity to choose a study-abroad destination, Italy was definitely at the top of my list,” said Sivakumar.
The group took a four-hour Italian course at the Instituto Italiano as well as a course with Dr. Caterina Shahbaz, Program Director of Fisher in Italy and former French professor at the College. Many times, she would take the group out of the classroom to visit the many monuments and learn the history behind them. Sivakumar said the culture course she took while abroad was very different from any course she has taken at Fisher, but that the language course was very similar.
She credits Shahbaz with the “unbelievable amount of sightseeing” she was able to fit in, and said her two favorite stops included a Gondola ride in Venice and a hike and swim in Cinque Terre. And she was also struck by the Vatican, in particular, the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel by Michelangelo.
“Now that I experienced classes at another school, I am excited to take Spanish for the Health Professions classes. It will be great learning medical terms in Spanish, as I hope to travel to Buenos Aires and provide medical service one summer in the future,” she said.
A group photo in Tuscany.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program