Accounting Students Finish in 2nd Place in National Tax Competition
Last fall, a team of St. John Fisher College accounting students came in first place in the regional Deloitte FanTAXtic Competition in Boston. Last weekend, they traveled to Dallas to the Deloitte Training Facility for the national – and final – round, where they finished in 2nd place, landing a total of $10,000 in prizes.
Greg Church ’13, Katie Frandrich ’13, Dan Agan ’13, Brendan Hughes ’15, Jadon O’Donnell ’15, and Professor Lynn Mucenski-Keck made the trip to compete against schools including Fordham University, College of William & Mary, University of Utah, University of Southern Florida, University of Southern California, and the University of Missouri. The University of Texas placed first, with Michigan State University coming in third place behind Fisher. The annual competition encourages student teams to utilize their growing knowledge and skills to solve real-world, issues-based business tax scenarios.
“This was a great accomplishment not only for the students but also the St. John Fisher College Accounting program and School of Business,” said Mucenski-Keck. “We appreciate all the hard work and sacrifices that the students made to win the regional competition and go on to place nationally.”
Deloitte will provide a $5,000 scholarship to the College’s Accounting program, and each student will receive $1,000 cash prize.
“It is always fantastic to see our students putting their knowledge to the test, but to see them do it on a national stage alongside these prestigious schools makes us even more proud,” said Dr. David Martin, Dean. “Professor Mucenski-Keck deserves much applause for her hard work and dedication, along with all of the faculty. Their collaborative efforts have led to the success of our students, which is our top priority.”
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Rosenberry Leads Effort on Citizen-Centered Journalism Research Initiative
- Fisher Alumna Shares “10 Body Language Habits of Successful People”
- Lavery Library Receives Grant from Rochester Regional Library Council
- Fisher Grad Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium