Accounting Students Finish in 2nd Place in National Tax Competition
Last fall, a team of St. John Fisher College accounting students came in first place in the regional Deloitte FanTAXtic Competition in Boston. Last weekend, they traveled to Dallas to the Deloitte Training Facility for the national – and final – round, where they finished in 2nd place, landing a total of $10,000 in prizes.
Greg Church ’13, Katie Frandrich ’13, Dan Agan ’13, Brendan Hughes ’15, Jadon O’Donnell ’15, and Professor Lynn Mucenski-Keck made the trip to compete against schools including Fordham University, College of William & Mary, University of Utah, University of Southern Florida, University of Southern California, and the University of Missouri. The University of Texas placed first, with Michigan State University coming in third place behind Fisher. The annual competition encourages student teams to utilize their growing knowledge and skills to solve real-world, issues-based business tax scenarios.
“This was a great accomplishment not only for the students but also the St. John Fisher College Accounting program and School of Business,” said Mucenski-Keck. “We appreciate all the hard work and sacrifices that the students made to win the regional competition and go on to place nationally.”
Deloitte will provide a $5,000 scholarship to the College’s Accounting program, and each student will receive $1,000 cash prize.
“It is always fantastic to see our students putting their knowledge to the test, but to see them do it on a national stage alongside these prestigious schools makes us even more proud,” said Dr. David Martin, Dean. “Professor Mucenski-Keck deserves much applause for her hard work and dedication, along with all of the faculty. Their collaborative efforts have led to the success of our students, which is our top priority.”
Latest College News Stories
- Honorary Courage Bowl Coaches, Cheerleaders Announced
- 2014 Beta Gamma Sigma Liaison Tackles New Role with Big Plans
- Students Look to Get Involved at Fall Involvement Fest
- Wegmans School of Nursing Awards First Advanced Certificate in Mental Health Counseling
- Cooking Up a Sustainable First Friday Lecture October 3
- Nicolay Publishes Monograph
- Cleaner and Greener – College Introduces New Trash and Recycling Centers Campuswide
- Trustee Ronald Hermance, Jr. ’69 Passes Away
- College Welcomes New Faculty for 2014-15 Academic Year
- Get Involved at Involvement Fest Next Tuesday
- Exchanging Courses and Lives
- St. John Fisher College Recognized on List of America’s Best Colleges 2015
- Wegmans School of Nursing Introduces Dedicated Education Unit Clinical Site to Students
- Courage Bowl X Slated for September 20, Fisher to Face Brockport
- Pittsford High School AP Chemistry Students work with Fisher Faculty on Project, Presentation