School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
On August 3 and 4, the St. John Fisher College Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education and the School’s Executive Leadership Doctoral Program sponsored the “Schools Sharing What Works” symposium for charter school teachers, leaders, and board members from across New York State. Over 100 participants came together to share innovative practices and practical strategies for student success.
Dr. Michael Wischnowski, Dean of the School of Education, and Mayor Lovely Warren opened the conference on Sunday evening, followed by keynote speaker Christopher D. Finn, Principal of Lady Liberty Academy Charter School in Newark, NJ. Finn, who was also a founding teacher at Promise Academy in the Harlem Children’s Zone, described education as a “calling” and pointed to many specific strategies and techniques that he has seen work effectively with children poised to achieve.
The conference continued with 23 individual workshop sessions ranging from student-led conferences to real estate strategies to the use of common core standards. Workshops were conducted by charter school teachers, leaders, and board members. In addition to key school representatives, sessions were provided by charter school experts from the Northeast Charter School Network as well as charter school authorizers from the SUNY Charter School Institute and the New York State Education Department.
Latest College News Stories
- Nursing Faculty Participate in Cost of Poverty Experience
- Buffalo Bills Release 2015 Training Camp Schedule
- Community Service Efforts Land Fisher on President’s Honor Roll
- Justinian Order Honors President Bain during Luncheon
- Charles McVay Inducted into National Math Honor Society
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Holds Hooding, Presents Awards
- Recognition Ceremony Celebrates School of Nursing Grads
- Dr. Katrina Arndt Receives Trustees’ Distinguished Scholar Award
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Celebrates Ed.D. Candidates
- Bain Presents Two with President’s Medals
- Seniors Honored for Academic Achievement, Campus Leadership at President’s Awards Ceremony
- Banquet Honors Senior Student-Athletes
- Nearly 1,200 Graduate during Fisher’s 61st Commencement
- National Biology Honor Society Inducts 29
- Entrepreneurship in the Classroom Focus of Education Conference