School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
On August 3 and 4, the St. John Fisher College Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education and the School’s Executive Leadership Doctoral Program sponsored the “Schools Sharing What Works” symposium for charter school teachers, leaders, and board members from across New York State. Over 100 participants came together to share innovative practices and practical strategies for student success.
Dr. Michael Wischnowski, Dean of the School of Education, and Mayor Lovely Warren opened the conference on Sunday evening, followed by keynote speaker Christopher D. Finn, Principal of Lady Liberty Academy Charter School in Newark, NJ. Finn, who was also a founding teacher at Promise Academy in the Harlem Children’s Zone, described education as a “calling” and pointed to many specific strategies and techniques that he has seen work effectively with children poised to achieve.
The conference continued with 23 individual workshop sessions ranging from student-led conferences to real estate strategies to the use of common core standards. Workshops were conducted by charter school teachers, leaders, and board members. In addition to key school representatives, sessions were provided by charter school experts from the Northeast Charter School Network as well as charter school authorizers from the SUNY Charter School Institute and the New York State Education Department.
Latest College News Stories
- Martínez-Hernández, Rovira-Figueroa, and Eaton presented at STANYS Conference
- Alumna Releases Romance Novel
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee Host Olympics for Wilson Foundation Academy
- Alumna Named President of Roberts Communications
- Alumna Shares Journey with Cushing’s Disease with Nursing Students
- Rhone Attends BGS Student Leadership Fall Forum
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- St. John Fisher College’s 12th Justinian Medal Presented to Michael R. Law, Esq. ’69
- Students Receive Dante Scholarship from Italian Women’s Civic Club
- Madigan to Serve as Guest Lecturer for December First Friday Lecture
- Investment Club Travels to New York City
- Student Athletes “Scare Away Brain Cancer” in Honor of Teammate
- Veterans Affairs Club, President Bain Host Veterans Day Celebration
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 12th Annual Philosophy Day
- St. John Fisher College and Herkimer College Announce 2+2 Partnership Agreement