Middle School Students to Compete in Regional Science Olympiad at St. John Fisher College
Students representing 14 Rochester-area middle schools will visit St. John Fisher College to participate in the 2014 Regional Science Olympiad Competition on Saturday, February 15, from 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. The competition will determine the area’s top students in the field of science. A total of 22 teams, made up of 300 students, have been preparing since September to compete in 20 events in the fields of engineering, biology, physical science, and problem solving.
It is one of several regional competitions in New York State, which act as a preliminary round to the state competition to be held at Greece Arcadia High School, April 4-5, 2014. Two to three winning teams will then attend the State Science Olympiad. And two winning teams from the state competition will move on to the national competition at the University of Central Florida this May.
Schools participating in this year’s competition are: Avon Middle School; Carl I. Bergerson Middle School in Albion; A.D. Oliver Middle School in Brockport; East Rochester Junior High School; Merton Williams Middle School in Hilton; Livonia Middle School; Bay Trail Middle School in Penfield; Pittsford Barker Road; Calkins Road Middle School in Pittsford; Rochester Academy Charter School; Sodus Junior High School; Spry Middle School in Webster; Willink Middle School in Webster; Twelve Corners Middle School in Brighton; and Thomas C. Armstrong Middle School in Wayne.
Among the events to take place during the competition are:
- Rotor Egg Drop - A team will construct an unpowered, autorotation helicopter device, which uses one or more helicopter rotor(s) to safely transport a raw chicken egg from a specified height to the floor.
9:00–11:00 a.m./Wegmans School of Pharmacy Foyer
- Robo-Cross - Prior to the tournament, teams design and build a robot capable of performing certain tasks on a prescribed field. The robot may be controlled remotely by radio, infrared, or wired control boxes.
10:00-12:00 p.m./Cleary Auditorium (Kearney Hall)
- Wheeled Vehicle - Competitors must design, build, and test on vehicle that uses a non-metallic, elastic material as its sole means of propulsion to travel a distance as quickly and accurately as possible.
10:00-2:00 p.m./Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Athletic Center (Student Life Center)
- Boomilever - The objective of this event is to design and build the most efficient Boomilever. A Boomilever is a cantilevered wood and glue structure, mounted to a vertical Testing Wall, carrying a load at a distance from the wall.
11:00-2:00p.m./Basil Hall 135 (Auditorium)
- Helicopters - Teams construct and test free flight rubber-powered helicopters prior to the tournament to achieve maximum flight times.
11:00-2:00 p.m./Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Athletic Center (Student Life Center)
For more information about the Science Olympiad Competition, please contact Sheila Brady Root, Science Events Coordinator at St. John Fisher College, at (585) 978-1151 or email@example.com, or Suzanne Isrigg, Director of the Regional Science Olympiad, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year