Middle School Students to Compete in Regional Science Olympiad at St. John Fisher College
Students representing 14 Rochester-area middle schools will visit St. John Fisher College to participate in the 2014 Regional Science Olympiad Competition on Saturday, February 15, from 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. The competition will determine the area’s top students in the field of science. A total of 22 teams, made up of 300 students, have been preparing since September to compete in 20 events in the fields of engineering, biology, physical science, and problem solving.
It is one of several regional competitions in New York State, which act as a preliminary round to the state competition to be held at Greece Arcadia High School, April 4-5, 2014. Two to three winning teams will then attend the State Science Olympiad. And two winning teams from the state competition will move on to the national competition at the University of Central Florida this May.
Schools participating in this year’s competition are: Avon Middle School; Carl I. Bergerson Middle School in Albion; A.D. Oliver Middle School in Brockport; East Rochester Junior High School; Merton Williams Middle School in Hilton; Livonia Middle School; Bay Trail Middle School in Penfield; Pittsford Barker Road; Calkins Road Middle School in Pittsford; Rochester Academy Charter School; Sodus Junior High School; Spry Middle School in Webster; Willink Middle School in Webster; Twelve Corners Middle School in Brighton; and Thomas C. Armstrong Middle School in Wayne.
Among the events to take place during the competition are:
- Rotor Egg Drop - A team will construct an unpowered, autorotation helicopter device, which uses one or more helicopter rotor(s) to safely transport a raw chicken egg from a specified height to the floor.
9:00–11:00 a.m./Wegmans School of Pharmacy Foyer
- Robo-Cross - Prior to the tournament, teams design and build a robot capable of performing certain tasks on a prescribed field. The robot may be controlled remotely by radio, infrared, or wired control boxes.
10:00-12:00 p.m./Cleary Auditorium (Kearney Hall)
- Wheeled Vehicle - Competitors must design, build, and test on vehicle that uses a non-metallic, elastic material as its sole means of propulsion to travel a distance as quickly and accurately as possible.
10:00-2:00 p.m./Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Athletic Center (Student Life Center)
- Boomilever - The objective of this event is to design and build the most efficient Boomilever. A Boomilever is a cantilevered wood and glue structure, mounted to a vertical Testing Wall, carrying a load at a distance from the wall.
11:00-2:00p.m./Basil Hall 135 (Auditorium)
- Helicopters - Teams construct and test free flight rubber-powered helicopters prior to the tournament to achieve maximum flight times.
11:00-2:00 p.m./Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Athletic Center (Student Life Center)
For more information about the Science Olympiad Competition, please contact Sheila Brady Root, Science Events Coordinator at St. John Fisher College, at (585) 978-1151 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Suzanne Isrigg, Director of the Regional Science Olympiad, at email@example.com.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference