Iuppa Reaches Publishing Milestone
Writer-in-Residence M.J. Iuppa recently reached a publishing milestone, having a total of 77 pieces of her work published in 2013. Her goal was simple: get more acceptances and publications during the year than her age.
“I had recently entered a new decade and wanted to face it with a youthful, ambitious resolve,” Iuppa said. “I had never set a goal like that before but I believed I could do it.”
Iuppa is the Director of the Visual and Performing Arts Program at Fisher and teaches courses in poetry, drama, creative writing, world literature, and film. Until 2013, she was the Poetry Advisor for the New York State Council for the Arts. In addition, she teaches in both city and suburban schools. She works with the Genesee Valley BOCES and is a mentor with Project UNIQUE, a program in which she conducts residencies in creative writing, poetry, and professional development on teaching the arts.
An important part of Iuppa’s publishing success is matching her creative work with a suitable publication. To do this, she continuously keeps up with dozens of publications every month, and says that by understanding their unique characteristics, she has been able to target her submissions and in doing so, has increased her chances of being published.
She also said one of the keys to her success is her persistence. If one of her poems doesn’t get accepted with her first try, she quickly resubmits it to another publication. Her commitment and persistence has made her recognizable to editors, which helps her keep her momentum.
Some of her published poems include:
“Perennial” – published in Blueline
“Studying the Sky” – published in Heron Tree
“Early Departure” and “Howden Pond” – published in Curio Poetry
Other published pieces include:
Essays: “In Concert” Canto Magazine, “Tell the Truth, Do You Lie” Eunoia Review
Fiction: “Free Advice” Flash Fiction World Contest (UK) “Reading, Closely” Kind of a Hurricane: Pound of Flash
She has also published numerous anthologies, chapbooks, and micro-chapbooks.
Latest College News Stories
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair