Iuppa Reaches Publishing Milestone
Writer-in-Residence M.J. Iuppa recently reached a publishing milestone, having a total of 77 pieces of her work published in 2013. Her goal was simple: get more acceptances and publications during the year than her age.
“I had recently entered a new decade and wanted to face it with a youthful, ambitious resolve,” Iuppa said. “I had never set a goal like that before but I believed I could do it.”
Iuppa is the Director of the Visual and Performing Arts Program at Fisher and teaches courses in poetry, drama, creative writing, world literature, and film. Until 2013, she was the Poetry Advisor for the New York State Council for the Arts. In addition, she teaches in both city and suburban schools. She works with the Genesee Valley BOCES and is a mentor with Project UNIQUE, a program in which she conducts residencies in creative writing, poetry, and professional development on teaching the arts.
An important part of Iuppa’s publishing success is matching her creative work with a suitable publication. To do this, she continuously keeps up with dozens of publications every month, and says that by understanding their unique characteristics, she has been able to target her submissions and in doing so, has increased her chances of being published.
She also said one of the keys to her success is her persistence. If one of her poems doesn’t get accepted with her first try, she quickly resubmits it to another publication. Her commitment and persistence has made her recognizable to editors, which helps her keep her momentum.
Some of her published poems include:
“Perennial” – published in Blueline
“Studying the Sky” – published in Heron Tree
“Early Departure” and “Howden Pond” – published in Curio Poetry
Other published pieces include:
Essays: “In Concert” Canto Magazine, “Tell the Truth, Do You Lie” Eunoia Review
Fiction: “Free Advice” Flash Fiction World Contest (UK) “Reading, Closely” Kind of a Hurricane: Pound of Flash
She has also published numerous anthologies, chapbooks, and micro-chapbooks.
Latest College News Stories
- Buffalo/Niagara Alumni Chapter Presents Annual Awards
- Price Places 2nd in “Secrets to Successful Rollouts Revealed!” Video Contest
- Vega Receives Award from Ibero-American Action League
- College to Celebrate “Four Freedoms Week”
- Men’s Soccer Team Hosts Special Game for Special Olympics
- Nelson-Tuttle, Schultz Present Research at Narcolepsy Network’s Annual Conference
- Educational Assessment Effectiveness Team presents at 2014 Assessment Institute, Indianapolis
- 2014 Graduates Continue Service Through Rochester Youth Year Fellowship Program
- Schools of Business and Education Partner to Deliver BGS Annual Day of Service
- Faculty, Students Participate in Seneca Falls Dialogues
- MacDonald Wins Top Student Award
- Copeland Publishes and Presents at National Conference
- Donahue Presents at Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference
- Kunsch Elected New MBA Program Director
- Fisher Community Makes Strides Against Breast Cancer