Llewellyn Publishes Book
Douglas Llewellyn, adjunct faculty member for the graduate program in Mathematics/Science/ Technology Education (GMST), had his seventh science education book in December by Corwin Press.
Inquire Within helps 3rd-8th grade teachers integrate hands-on investigations with scientific argumentation as fostered through the Next Generation Science Standards and the Common Core English/Language Arts standards. A main focus of the book shows how elementary and middle school teachers can help their students design and conduct investigations, analyze the results to form claims, and then justify and defend their claims with reasoning and supportive evidence.
In one chapter, as a way to demonstrate how science is a natural pairing with literacy, Llewellyn partners with Professor Sharon Christman and six of her students from EDU 356 (Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment in Intermediate Literacy). In a science lesson on the three classes of levers, Brenden Hamilton, Cody Miller, Cody Headwell, Dusty Baker, Kristen Melville, Kyle Smith, and Mary Katherine DeLary form stations to present each type of lever to fourth graders at Clara Barton School #2. After the lesson and back in the campus classroom, the six Fisher students reflect on the effectiveness of engaging students in science while promoting reading and writing literacy.
This is the third edition of the book. And Llewellyn has since been invited to make two presentations on inquiry and argumentation at the National Science Teachers Association annual conference in April.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year