Llewellyn Publishes Book
Douglas Llewellyn, adjunct faculty member for the graduate program in Mathematics/Science/ Technology Education (GMST), had his seventh science education book in December by Corwin Press.
Inquire Within helps 3rd-8th grade teachers integrate hands-on investigations with scientific argumentation as fostered through the Next Generation Science Standards and the Common Core English/Language Arts standards. A main focus of the book shows how elementary and middle school teachers can help their students design and conduct investigations, analyze the results to form claims, and then justify and defend their claims with reasoning and supportive evidence.
In one chapter, as a way to demonstrate how science is a natural pairing with literacy, Llewellyn partners with Professor Sharon Christman and six of her students from EDU 356 (Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment in Intermediate Literacy). In a science lesson on the three classes of levers, Brenden Hamilton, Cody Miller, Cody Headwell, Dusty Baker, Kristen Melville, Kyle Smith, and Mary Katherine DeLary form stations to present each type of lever to fourth graders at Clara Barton School #2. After the lesson and back in the campus classroom, the six Fisher students reflect on the effectiveness of engaging students in science while promoting reading and writing literacy.
This is the third edition of the book. And Llewellyn has since been invited to make two presentations on inquiry and argumentation at the National Science Teachers Association annual conference in April.
Latest College News Stories
- College Purchases Park and Ride Lot from New York State
- Fisher Wins 10th Straight Courage Bowl
- Honorary Courage Bowl Coaches, Cheerleaders Announced
- 2014 Beta Gamma Sigma Liaison Tackles New Role with Big Plans
- Students Look to Get Involved at Fall Involvement Fest
- Wegmans School of Nursing Awards First Advanced Certificate in Mental Health Counseling
- Cooking Up a Sustainable First Friday Lecture October 3
- Nicolay Publishes Monograph
- Cleaner and Greener – College Introduces New Trash and Recycling Centers Campuswide
- Trustee Ronald Hermance, Jr. ’69 Passes Away
- College Welcomes New Faculty for 2014-15 Academic Year
- Get Involved at Involvement Fest Next Tuesday
- Exchanging Courses and Lives
- St. John Fisher College Recognized on List of America’s Best Colleges 2015
- Wegmans School of Nursing Introduces Dedicated Education Unit Clinical Site to Students