High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
St. John Fisher College’s Department of Media and Communication held its annual Spend-a-Day program on February 21. Prospective students from across New York State and even Pennsylvania spent the day with current faculty and students from the department learning what their futures would be like if they chose Fisher.
“This was really important for me to be able to see the facilities and get some hands-on experience with professors, students, and the programs that I am considering,” said Peter Mancarella, a prospective student from Pittsford.
The students sat in a mock lesson taught by Dr. Jack Rosenberry, Department Chair. The lesson was based on Multimedia Writing (COMM 295), one of the foundational courses students majoring in Media and Communication or Media Management will take.
Next, the students went into the television studio where they had a chance to practice using the studio equipment and learn the roles of production. They even filmed their own episodes of Cardinal Television’s (CTV) show “Commotion.”
To finish off the morning session, the students experienced another mock lesson taught by Professor Jeremy Sarachan. Sarachan is the Program Director of the College’s Digital Cultures and Technologies program, so he tailored his presentation for students interested in digital cultures.
During lunch with students and faculty of the department, the prospective students and their families heard about the internship program and the department’s co-curricular activities. They had the chance to talk with student representatives from The Cardinal Courier, CTV, PRSSA, PRIMA, and Lambda Pi Eta and learn how to get involved and how they are beneficial to the students.
The Spend-a-Day program ended with a trip to the Courier office. While there, the students had the chance to create their own front page cover of the newspaper.
Latest College News Stories
- Honorary Courage Bowl Coaches, Cheerleaders Announced
- 2014 Beta Gamma Sigma Liaison Tackles New Role with Big Plans
- Students Look to Get Involved at Fall Involvement Fest
- Wegmans School of Nursing Awards First Advanced Certificate in Mental Health Counseling
- Cooking Up a Sustainable First Friday Lecture October 3
- Nicolay Publishes Monograph
- Cleaner and Greener – College Introduces New Trash and Recycling Centers Campuswide
- Trustee Ronald Hermance, Jr. ’69 Passes Away
- College Welcomes New Faculty for 2014-15 Academic Year
- Get Involved at Involvement Fest Next Tuesday
- Exchanging Courses and Lives
- St. John Fisher College Recognized on List of America’s Best Colleges 2015
- Wegmans School of Nursing Introduces Dedicated Education Unit Clinical Site to Students
- Courage Bowl X Slated for September 20, Fisher to Face Brockport
- Pittsford High School AP Chemistry Students work with Fisher Faculty on Project, Presentation