Fisher Athletes Attend Annual Empire 8 Summit
Three St. John Fisher College athletes attended the 7th Annual Empire 8 Student-Athlete Summit on January 25 and 26 at the Woodcliff Hotel and Spa in Fairport. Women’s lacrosse players Logan Barnard and Mary Kate Edmunds, along with Donovan Kims from the football team, represented the College’s Athletics Department.
This year’s summit focused on bringing together members of the higher education community from all nine conference institutions to identify collaborative strategies to address interpersonal violence. The crowd included student-athletes, administrators, coaches, and Vice Presidents of Student Affairs.
Former Syracuse All-American, Donald G. McPherson, delivered a powerful message against violence and abusive relationships to the participants Friday night. For more than 25 years, McPherson has used the power and appeal of sport to address complex social justice issues. He has created innovative programs, supported community service providers, and has provided educational seminars and lectures throughout North America.
The participants also heard from Dr. Steve Byrne and Dr. Hannah Young, Assistant Professors of Counseling at Alfred University. They are both licensed psychologists with interests in interpersonal relationships, partner violence, and prevention programming, and offered insight into the resources available for campus-based collaboration.
Programming for the summit was made possible through the NCAA Strategic Initiative Grant Tier II funds.
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Advice Straight from the Orientation Team
- New Greater Amsterdam School District Superintendent an Ed.D. Grad
- Bills Selected to Attend Workshop on Medicinal Chemistry
- Fisher Launches New TV Campaign
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Full Accreditation
- Comedian, Former Presidential Speech Writer Headline Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Pharmacy Students Earn 100 Percent Pass Rate on New York State Licensing Exam
- A Voice for the Community: Pharmacy Professor Serves on Advisory Board for Global HIV Vaccine Study