Fisher Athletes Attend Annual Empire 8 Summit
Three St. John Fisher College athletes attended the 7th Annual Empire 8 Student-Athlete Summit on January 25 and 26 at the Woodcliff Hotel and Spa in Fairport. Women’s lacrosse players Logan Barnard and Mary Kate Edmunds, along with Donovan Kims from the football team, represented the College’s Athletics Department.
This year’s summit focused on bringing together members of the higher education community from all nine conference institutions to identify collaborative strategies to address interpersonal violence. The crowd included student-athletes, administrators, coaches, and Vice Presidents of Student Affairs.
Former Syracuse All-American, Donald G. McPherson, delivered a powerful message against violence and abusive relationships to the participants Friday night. For more than 25 years, McPherson has used the power and appeal of sport to address complex social justice issues. He has created innovative programs, supported community service providers, and has provided educational seminars and lectures throughout North America.
The participants also heard from Dr. Steve Byrne and Dr. Hannah Young, Assistant Professors of Counseling at Alfred University. They are both licensed psychologists with interests in interpersonal relationships, partner violence, and prevention programming, and offered insight into the resources available for campus-based collaboration.
Programming for the summit was made possible through the NCAA Strategic Initiative Grant Tier II funds.
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Parallel Universe and Figurations” Exhibit May 20
- Wegmans School of Nursing Acknowledges Nine with Graduate Awards
- MBA Graduates Recognized
- Inaugural Joining Forces Conference Attracts 170 Health Care Professionals, Veterans to Campus
- Executive Leadership Program Honors Students
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Honors Students During Hooding Ceremony
- Bain Awards President’s Medals at 59th Commencement
- President’s Awards Ceremony Recognizes 47 Graduating Seniors
- Madigan, Plata, and McGregor Honored During Commencement Weekend
- Class of 2013 Presents Class Gift
- Goonan ’75 Receives Honorary Degree
- McCullough Urges Graduates to ‘Keep Learning, Cultivate Curiosity’
- Sodano Receives Father Dorsey Award
- School of Pharmacy Holds 2013 Student Awards
- “Undergraduate Review” Now Available Online