Fisher Athletes Attend Annual Empire 8 Summit
Three St. John Fisher College athletes attended the 7th Annual Empire 8 Student-Athlete Summit on January 25 and 26 at the Woodcliff Hotel and Spa in Fairport. Women’s lacrosse players Logan Barnard and Mary Kate Edmunds, along with Donovan Kims from the football team, represented the College’s Athletics Department.
This year’s summit focused on bringing together members of the higher education community from all nine conference institutions to identify collaborative strategies to address interpersonal violence. The crowd included student-athletes, administrators, coaches, and Vice Presidents of Student Affairs.
Former Syracuse All-American, Donald G. McPherson, delivered a powerful message against violence and abusive relationships to the participants Friday night. For more than 25 years, McPherson has used the power and appeal of sport to address complex social justice issues. He has created innovative programs, supported community service providers, and has provided educational seminars and lectures throughout North America.
The participants also heard from Dr. Steve Byrne and Dr. Hannah Young, Assistant Professors of Counseling at Alfred University. They are both licensed psychologists with interests in interpersonal relationships, partner violence, and prevention programming, and offered insight into the resources available for campus-based collaboration.
Programming for the summit was made possible through the NCAA Strategic Initiative Grant Tier II funds.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems
- Nursing Students Spend Summer in Internships Learning Patient Care and More
- Oral History Project Shares Memories, Reflections from Pioneer Class
- Service Trips Defining Experience for Pharmacy Students
- October First Friday Lecture Explores Evolving Nature of Science Education
- Center for Youth Honors Fisher’s Rick DeJesús-Rueff
- Optics and Extraterrestrials the Focus of Oct. 13 Loss Lecture
- Fisher Wins Courage Bowl XI in Double Overtime
- Grant Funds Substance Abuse Screening and Intervention Training for Pharmacy, Nursing, and Mental Health Counseling Students
- Martin Mucci Named Inaugural Influential Leader from AACSB
- Dialogues Explore Issues of Race, Equity, and Justice