Trovato Lecture Set for March 21, Featuring Author Mary Jeremy Daigler, RSM
On Thursday, March 21, St. John Fisher College will host “The Road Less Traveled” – The Joseph A. Trovato Lecture featuring Mary Jeremy Daigler, RSM, author and visiting scholar at Mount Saint Agnes Theological Center for Women in Baltimore, Maryland. She will present “Incompatible with God's Design,” a lecture on the history of the women's ordination movement in the U.S. Roman Catholic Church. The lecture will begin at 7:00 p.m., and will be held in Basil 135.
Daigler has been a visiting scholar at Mount Saint Agnes Theological Center for Women in Baltimore, Maryland, since 2008. She holds an M.Div. and doctorate in ministry from the Andover Newton Theological School, Massachusetts, and an M.A. in classical languages from Johns Hopkins University. She is the author of Through the Windows: A History of the Work of Higher Education among the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas (2001).
Given the recent turn of events in Rome, Daigler’s new book, Incompatible with God’s Design, is very timely. The book is the first comprehensive history of the Roman Catholic women’s ordination movement in the United States, and explores how the focus on ordination, and not merely “increased participation” in the life and ministries of the church, has come to describe a broad movement. Moving well beyond the role of such organizations as the Women’s Ordination Conference, the study also addresses the role of international and local groups.
In her lecture, Daigler will touch on some key topics in the book. She will start with the movement’s historical background from the early American period through the early 20th century to Vatican II. In addition, she will consider the role of women (especially Catholicism’s more religious adherents) in the movement’s evolution, the organization of the ordination movement in the United States, the role and response of clergy and Vatican teachings, and the full range of challenges—past and present—to the movement.
The lecture is free and open to the public.
- Fisher Marketing Club Wins AMA Collegiate Chapter Excellence Award
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Parallel Universe and Figurations” Exhibit May 20
- Wegmans School of Nursing Acknowledges Nine with Graduate Awards
- MBA Graduates Recognized
- Inaugural Joining Forces Conference Attracts 170 Health Care Professionals, Veterans to Campus
- Executive Leadership Program Honors Students
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Honors Students During Hooding Ceremony
- Bain Awards President’s Medals at 59th Commencement
- President’s Awards Ceremony Recognizes 47 Graduating Seniors
- Madigan, Plata, and McGregor Honored During Commencement Weekend
- Class of 2013 Presents Class Gift
- Goonan ’75 Receives Honorary Degree
- McCullough Urges Graduates to ‘Keep Learning, Cultivate Curiosity’
- Sodano Receives Father Dorsey Award
- School of Pharmacy Holds 2013 Student Awards