Trovato Lecture Set for March 21, Featuring Author Mary Jeremy Daigler, RSM
On Thursday, March 21, St. John Fisher College will host “The Road Less Traveled” – The Joseph A. Trovato Lecture featuring Mary Jeremy Daigler, RSM, author and visiting scholar at Mount Saint Agnes Theological Center for Women in Baltimore, Maryland. She will present “Incompatible with God's Design,” a lecture on the history of the women's ordination movement in the U.S. Roman Catholic Church. The lecture will begin at 7:00 p.m., and will be held in Basil 135.
Daigler has been a visiting scholar at Mount Saint Agnes Theological Center for Women in Baltimore, Maryland, since 2008. She holds an M.Div. and doctorate in ministry from the Andover Newton Theological School, Massachusetts, and an M.A. in classical languages from Johns Hopkins University. She is the author of Through the Windows: A History of the Work of Higher Education among the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas (2001).
Given the recent turn of events in Rome, Daigler’s new book, Incompatible with God’s Design, is very timely. The book is the first comprehensive history of the Roman Catholic women’s ordination movement in the United States, and explores how the focus on ordination, and not merely “increased participation” in the life and ministries of the church, has come to describe a broad movement. Moving well beyond the role of such organizations as the Women’s Ordination Conference, the study also addresses the role of international and local groups.
In her lecture, Daigler will touch on some key topics in the book. She will start with the movement’s historical background from the early American period through the early 20th century to Vatican II. In addition, she will consider the role of women (especially Catholicism’s more religious adherents) in the movement’s evolution, the organization of the ordination movement in the United States, the role and response of clergy and Vatican teachings, and the full range of challenges—past and present—to the movement.
The lecture is free and open to the public.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Hosts Annual College Bound Program
- Alumni Association Board Welcomes New Members
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing Receives Federal Grant
- CCNE On-Site Evaluation Scheduled
- St. John Fisher College Breaks Ground for New Science Building
- AP Summer Institute Held at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Appoints Interim Dean of School of Business
- Alumnae Receive Top Honors at Local Public Relations Industry Awards
- Bain Travels to Ireland
- Cyber Café Courtyard Open