Football Receives Coveted Lambert Award
The Annual Eastern College Athletic Conference Football Awards Banquet took place Thursday, March 27, at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., with the nationally-ranked St. John Fisher College squad being awarded the Lambert Meadowlands Football Award Winner for Division III as the top team in the East.
The Cardinals were ranked No. 1 in the final regular season Lambert Poll for the second time in school history (2006) after compiling a 10-3 record which ended with a quarterfinal loss in the NCAA Division III Football Championship to the University of Mary-Hardin Baylor. Fisher thwarted No. 9 John Carroll University 25-16 in the opening round followed by a 27-6 victory over No. 8 Hobart College in the second round to advance to the Elite 8 for the fourth time in program history.
The awards banquet honored both teams and individuals for their on-field performances during the 2013 season. Among the team award winners were the Penn State Nittany Lions who were tabbed the Division I Lambert Football Award Winner for their performance in 2013. Attendees were also treated to a speech from Guest of Honor Kevin Gilbride, who recently retired from the NFL after years of being an offensive coordinator.
Established in 1936 as the Lambert Trophy to recognize supremacy in Eastern college football, the award has since grown to recognize the best team in the East in the Bowl Subdivision. In 1957, the Lambert Cup was created to recognize non-Division I-A teams, and in 1966 a Division III award was added. In 1983, the Lambert family decided the Meadowlands Sports Complex would be the best organization with a sincere and involved interest in college athletics to sponsor and manage the award, and since that time, the awards have been known as the Lambert Meadowlands Awards.
To be eligible for the Lambert Meadowlands Award, a school must be located in the East or play at least half of its schedule against eligible Lambert teams. The territory includes New York, New Jersey, New England and Pennsylvania, while teams in the bordering states of Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia and the District of Columbia qualify if at least half of their schedule features eligible teams. Teams in Eastern-based football conferences, regardless of location, qualify if at least half their schedule is against Lambert eligible teams.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference