Foreign Language Honor Society Holds 43rd Induction Ceremony
The St. John Fisher College Eta Chi chapter of Alpha Mu Gamma, the national foreign language honor society, held its 43rd annual induction ceremony on Thursday, April 10.
This year, the chapter inducted 11 new full members and one honorary member in recognition of the distinction attained in the study of French, Italian, and Spanish. Laura Krebs, a Spanish teacher at Penfield High School, was a guest speaker at the ceremony and talked about the importance of learning foreign languages. Krebs, a native of Rochester, has taught English in Spanish High Schools in Zaragoza, Spain and completed a Master’s Degree in Education in Multicultural Contexts from the University of Zaragoza, Spain.
The new inductees, their guests, and faculty members of the Modern Languages and Cultures Department attended the ceremony, which was conducted by the chapter officers Erin Carey (President) and Emily Smith (Secretary).
The purpose of Alpha Mu Gamma is to recognize achievement in any language and bring the students of the various languages together into a cosmopolitan, cohesive, and stable organization. In order to join the society, students must have received two final course grades of A in two college level courses of the same foreign language and must have a minimal GPA of 3.0.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems
- Nursing Students Spend Summer in Internships Learning Patient Care and More
- Oral History Project Shares Memories, Reflections from Pioneer Class
- Service Trips Defining Experience for Pharmacy Students
- October First Friday Lecture Explores Evolving Nature of Science Education
- Center for Youth Honors Fisher’s Rick DeJesús-Rueff
- Optics and Extraterrestrials the Focus of Oct. 13 Loss Lecture
- Fisher Wins Courage Bowl XI in Double Overtime
- Grant Funds Substance Abuse Screening and Intervention Training for Pharmacy, Nursing, and Mental Health Counseling Students
- Martin Mucci Named Inaugural Influential Leader from AACSB
- Dialogues Explore Issues of Race, Equity, and Justice