Goonan ’75 Receives Honorary Degree
Michael Goonan ’75, Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of the University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC), and Chair, St. John Fisher College Board of Trustees, received an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws during the College’s 59th Commencement ceremony.
The granting of honorary degrees is a long-standing tradition of colleges and universities, and Fisher is no exception. Other than the earned doctorate, the honorary degree is the highest recognition that an institution can bestow upon an individual.
Goonan has 29 years of experience leading the finance function of a major academic medical center which includes a university-based hospital, medical and nursing schools, faculty practice group, home health agency, dental center, and long-term care facilities. As such, he is skilled in areas such as financial management, accounting and reporting, third-party reimbursement, strategic planning, long-range financial planning, budgeting, patient accounting and registration, receivables management, contract negotiations, and continuous process improvement. Under Goonan’s fiscal leadership, URMC has developed comprehensive financial management systems that have helped it to generate consistently positive bottom-line results to reinvest in its critical missions. During his tenure as CFO, URMC has successfully implemented a half-billion dollar strategic plan for growth, through which URMC and the University of Rochester emerged as the region’s leading employer.
In addition to serving as a member of the URMC Board, the Strong Partners Health System Board, the Golisano Children’s Hospital at Strong Advisory Board, chairing the Endowment and Finance Committee of the Eastman Institute of Oral Health, Goonan also has a strong commitment to the community by serving on the boards of and chairing several board committees of the Catholic Family Center and the Crittenden Boulevard Housing Authority. He also advances his profession as a member of the Hospital Financial Management Association, and currently serves as the chair of the Board of Directors of the Medical Centre Insurance Company.
Prior to joining URMC, Goonan was in public accounting for nine years at Peat, Marwick, Mitchell and Co. where he specialized in management consulting to the health care field. He has been the recipients of the College’s prestigious Excellence in Management and Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year awards.
Dr. Eileen Lynd-Balta, Interim Provost, and President Bain present Michael Goonan '75 with his honorary degree.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference
- Fellowship Sends Journalism Instructor Back to the Newsroom