Goonan ’75 Receives Honorary Degree
Michael Goonan ’75, Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of the University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC), and Chair, St. John Fisher College Board of Trustees, received an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws during the College’s 59th Commencement ceremony.
The granting of honorary degrees is a long-standing tradition of colleges and universities, and Fisher is no exception. Other than the earned doctorate, the honorary degree is the highest recognition that an institution can bestow upon an individual.
Goonan has 29 years of experience leading the finance function of a major academic medical center which includes a university-based hospital, medical and nursing schools, faculty practice group, home health agency, dental center, and long-term care facilities. As such, he is skilled in areas such as financial management, accounting and reporting, third-party reimbursement, strategic planning, long-range financial planning, budgeting, patient accounting and registration, receivables management, contract negotiations, and continuous process improvement. Under Goonan’s fiscal leadership, URMC has developed comprehensive financial management systems that have helped it to generate consistently positive bottom-line results to reinvest in its critical missions. During his tenure as CFO, URMC has successfully implemented a half-billion dollar strategic plan for growth, through which URMC and the University of Rochester emerged as the region’s leading employer.
In addition to serving as a member of the URMC Board, the Strong Partners Health System Board, the Golisano Children’s Hospital at Strong Advisory Board, chairing the Endowment and Finance Committee of the Eastman Institute of Oral Health, Goonan also has a strong commitment to the community by serving on the boards of and chairing several board committees of the Catholic Family Center and the Crittenden Boulevard Housing Authority. He also advances his profession as a member of the Hospital Financial Management Association, and currently serves as the chair of the Board of Directors of the Medical Centre Insurance Company.
Prior to joining URMC, Goonan was in public accounting for nine years at Peat, Marwick, Mitchell and Co. where he specialized in management consulting to the health care field. He has been the recipients of the College’s prestigious Excellence in Management and Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year awards.
Dr. Eileen Lynd-Balta, Interim Provost, and President Bain present Michael Goonan '75 with his honorary degree.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes