Sarachan Publishes Essay on Screen Time for Children
Jeremy Sarachan, Assistant Professor of Communication/Journalism and Director of the Digital Cultures and Technologies Program, recently published an essay in the fall 2012 issue of the International Journal of Learning and Media, published by MIT Press.
In the essay, “Limiting Screen Time is Not the Key to Parenting in the Digital Age,” Sarachan discusses the media-influenced fear of “screen time” and the difficulty of placing arbitrary restrictions on video games and other digital technologies in light of the mobile and ubiquitous nature of new media. He argues that instead, parents should pay attention to all play activities, with electronic options not necessarily being inferior in all cases. The essay was a result of Sarachan’s extensive research into children’s virtual worlds.
The International Journal of Learning and Media is a groundbreaking online-only journal devoted to the examination of the changing relationships between learning and media across a wide range of forms and settings.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference
- Fellowship Sends Journalism Instructor Back to the Newsroom