Sarachan Publishes Essay on Screen Time for Children
Jeremy Sarachan, Assistant Professor of Communication/Journalism and Director of the Digital Cultures and Technologies Program, recently published an essay in the fall 2012 issue of the International Journal of Learning and Media, published by MIT Press.
In the essay, “Limiting Screen Time is Not the Key to Parenting in the Digital Age,” Sarachan discusses the media-influenced fear of “screen time” and the difficulty of placing arbitrary restrictions on video games and other digital technologies in light of the mobile and ubiquitous nature of new media. He argues that instead, parents should pay attention to all play activities, with electronic options not necessarily being inferior in all cases. The essay was a result of Sarachan’s extensive research into children’s virtual worlds.
The International Journal of Learning and Media is a groundbreaking online-only journal devoted to the examination of the changing relationships between learning and media across a wide range of forms and settings.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference
- School of Ed Alum Receives Transformational Leader Award from Nursing Organization
- Professor, Student Publish Manuscript in Journal of Pharmacy Practice