Sarachan Publishes Essay on Screen Time for Children
Jeremy Sarachan, Assistant Professor of Communication/Journalism and Director of the Digital Cultures and Technologies Program, recently published an essay in the fall 2012 issue of the International Journal of Learning and Media, published by MIT Press.
In the essay, “Limiting Screen Time is Not the Key to Parenting in the Digital Age,” Sarachan discusses the media-influenced fear of “screen time” and the difficulty of placing arbitrary restrictions on video games and other digital technologies in light of the mobile and ubiquitous nature of new media. He argues that instead, parents should pay attention to all play activities, with electronic options not necessarily being inferior in all cases. The essay was a result of Sarachan’s extensive research into children’s virtual worlds.
The International Journal of Learning and Media is a groundbreaking online-only journal devoted to the examination of the changing relationships between learning and media across a wide range of forms and settings.
Latest College News Stories
- 2014 Beta Gamma Sigma Liaison Tackles New Role with Big Plans
- Students Look to Get Involved at Fall Involvement Fest
- Wegmans School of Nursing Awards First Advanced Certificate in Mental Health Counseling
- Cooking Up a Sustainable First Friday Lecture October 3
- Nicolay Publishes Monograph
- Cleaner and Greener – College Introduces New Trash and Recycling Centers Campuswide
- Trustee Ronald Hermance, Jr. ’69 Passes Away
- College Welcomes New Faculty for 2014-15 Academic Year
- Get Involved at Involvement Fest Next Tuesday
- Exchanging Courses and Lives
- St. John Fisher College Recognized on List of America’s Best Colleges 2015
- Wegmans School of Nursing Introduces Dedicated Education Unit Clinical Site to Students
- Courage Bowl X Slated for September 20, Fisher to Face Brockport
- Pittsford High School AP Chemistry Students work with Fisher Faculty on Project, Presentation
- Chemistry Faculty Members Present at Biennial Conference on Chemical Education