Sarachan Publishes Essay on Screen Time for Children
Jeremy Sarachan, Assistant Professor of Communication/Journalism and Director of the Digital Cultures and Technologies Program, recently published an essay in the fall 2012 issue of the International Journal of Learning and Media, published by MIT Press.
In the essay, “Limiting Screen Time is Not the Key to Parenting in the Digital Age,” Sarachan discusses the media-influenced fear of “screen time” and the difficulty of placing arbitrary restrictions on video games and other digital technologies in light of the mobile and ubiquitous nature of new media. He argues that instead, parents should pay attention to all play activities, with electronic options not necessarily being inferior in all cases. The essay was a result of Sarachan’s extensive research into children’s virtual worlds.
The International Journal of Learning and Media is a groundbreaking online-only journal devoted to the examination of the changing relationships between learning and media across a wide range of forms and settings.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program