Rochester Area Colleges Continuing Education Association Honors Three Fisher Students
The Rochester Area Colleges Continuing Education Association (RACCE) recently presented three St. John Fisher College students with Outstanding Adult Student Awards. Jaime Berthold, Matthew DiGiambattista, and Shawna Hicks were formally recognized by the RACCE at a banquet on April 23. All three will graduate in May.
The awards recognized the extraordinary achievements of 30 adult students from ten area colleges who have excelled academically while also juggling responsibilities outside of the classroom, such as families, jobs, and community involvement.
Berthold is a Sport Management major, and works multiple part-time jobs while completing the rigorous academic program that includes a 150-hour practicum and a 400-hour internship. She is also a full-time mom. Currently, she is interning with after-school services and programming for the Perinton Parks and Recreation Department, focusing on how parents influence youth to get involved in sport. She will graduate with a B.S. in Sport Management.
DiGiambattista started his coursework at Monroe Community College and then transferred to RIT where he earned a B.S. in Criminal Justice. He then applied and was accepted to attend Marine Corps Officer Candidate School. He was commissioned a Second Lieutenant, and over four years served in Ramadi, Iraq, and Helmand Province, Afghanistan. During this time, he nurtured an interest in history and discovered his calling to become an educator. DiGiambattista works several part-time jobs, including tutoring and coaching JV lacrosse. He will graduate in with an M.S. in Adolescence Education and Special Education.
Hicks, an English major, works forty-plus hours per week as a direct care assistant at Finger Lakes Developmental Disabilities Service Office. As a single mother raising four children, she has mastered the art of scheduling and work/life balance. She will graduate with a B.A. in English, with a literature concentration, and has plans to pursue her master’s and Ph.D. in English.
Latest College News Stories
- On “The Verge” – Students Concept Binge-Watching TV Experience, Premiere May 1
- Lynd-Balta Named Assistant Provost
- Math Students Inducted into Pi Mu Epsilon New York Chapter
- Adjunct Faculty Honored
- Foreign Language Honor Society Holds 43rd Induction Ceremony
- PRIMA’s Inaugural “Gilda’s Cup” Raises $3,500 for Gilda’s Club of Rochester
- Marketing Club Takes on New Orleans, Wins Awards at International Conference
- Student Employees of the Year Recognized
- Countdown to Commencement – Nicholas Francisco
- Nursing Students, Faculty Present at Local Conference
- Brandon ’89 Has Cameo in New Movie, “Draft Day”
- Service-Learning Students, Faculty, Partners Honored
- 39 Students Officially Inducted into College’s Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter
- Career Center Staff, Biology Faculty Co-Write Career Exploration Article
- SGA Holds Annual Awards