Rochester Area Colleges Continuing Education Association Honors Three Fisher Students
The Rochester Area Colleges Continuing Education Association (RACCE) recently presented three St. John Fisher College students with Outstanding Adult Student Awards. Jaime Berthold, Matthew DiGiambattista, and Shawna Hicks were formally recognized by the RACCE at a banquet on April 23. All three will graduate in May.
The awards recognized the extraordinary achievements of 30 adult students from ten area colleges who have excelled academically while also juggling responsibilities outside of the classroom, such as families, jobs, and community involvement.
Berthold is a Sport Management major, and works multiple part-time jobs while completing the rigorous academic program that includes a 150-hour practicum and a 400-hour internship. She is also a full-time mom. Currently, she is interning with after-school services and programming for the Perinton Parks and Recreation Department, focusing on how parents influence youth to get involved in sport. She will graduate with a B.S. in Sport Management.
DiGiambattista started his coursework at Monroe Community College and then transferred to RIT where he earned a B.S. in Criminal Justice. He then applied and was accepted to attend Marine Corps Officer Candidate School. He was commissioned a Second Lieutenant, and over four years served in Ramadi, Iraq, and Helmand Province, Afghanistan. During this time, he nurtured an interest in history and discovered his calling to become an educator. DiGiambattista works several part-time jobs, including tutoring and coaching JV lacrosse. He will graduate in with an M.S. in Adolescence Education and Special Education.
Hicks, an English major, works forty-plus hours per week as a direct care assistant at Finger Lakes Developmental Disabilities Service Office. As a single mother raising four children, she has mastered the art of scheduling and work/life balance. She will graduate with a B.A. in English, with a literature concentration, and has plans to pursue her master’s and Ph.D. in English.
Latest College News Stories
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair