Rochester Area Colleges Continuing Education Association Honors Three Fisher Students
The Rochester Area Colleges Continuing Education Association (RACCE) recently presented three St. John Fisher College students with Outstanding Adult Student Awards. Jaime Berthold, Matthew DiGiambattista, and Shawna Hicks were formally recognized by the RACCE at a banquet on April 23. All three will graduate in May.
The awards recognized the extraordinary achievements of 30 adult students from ten area colleges who have excelled academically while also juggling responsibilities outside of the classroom, such as families, jobs, and community involvement.
Berthold is a Sport Management major, and works multiple part-time jobs while completing the rigorous academic program that includes a 150-hour practicum and a 400-hour internship. She is also a full-time mom. Currently, she is interning with after-school services and programming for the Perinton Parks and Recreation Department, focusing on how parents influence youth to get involved in sport. She will graduate with a B.S. in Sport Management.
DiGiambattista started his coursework at Monroe Community College and then transferred to RIT where he earned a B.S. in Criminal Justice. He then applied and was accepted to attend Marine Corps Officer Candidate School. He was commissioned a Second Lieutenant, and over four years served in Ramadi, Iraq, and Helmand Province, Afghanistan. During this time, he nurtured an interest in history and discovered his calling to become an educator. DiGiambattista works several part-time jobs, including tutoring and coaching JV lacrosse. He will graduate in with an M.S. in Adolescence Education and Special Education.
Hicks, an English major, works forty-plus hours per week as a direct care assistant at Finger Lakes Developmental Disabilities Service Office. As a single mother raising four children, she has mastered the art of scheduling and work/life balance. She will graduate with a B.A. in English, with a literature concentration, and has plans to pursue her master’s and Ph.D. in English.
Latest College News Stories
- School of Arts and Sciences to Host Free Screening of “Shadows of the Lynching Tree”
- College to Host Storytelling Festival
- #MeetTheMedia with #FisherComm Thursday
- St. John Fisher College Top Ranked NYS Institution in 2014 CPA Exam Results
- Renfro Called Upon for Bush Family Expertise
- 2013 Alumnus Publishes Article in U.S. Naval Institute Magazine
- Students "Tapped" to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- March First Friday Lecture Focus is European Influence in Rochester
- Countdown to Commencement: Cole Lachance-Tofany
- Teddi Dance for Love Surpasses $1 Million Mark
- Miss Norma, Lackmann Honored by Parent Company
- 33rd Annual Teddi Dance Reveals Packed 24-Hour Schedule
- Health & Wellness Center to Recognize National Eating Disorders Awareness Week
- Young Camper to be Remembered at Teddi Dance
- Teddi Committee Hosts “Very Beary Brunch”