Fast-a-Thon Promotes Awareness of Muslim Tradition
The Muslim Student Association (MSA) and the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs hosted the first-ever Fast-a-Thon on Saturday, October 20, an event aimed at raising the campus community’s awareness of the sacred Muslim tradition of fasting.
Over 55 students, faculty, and staff came together to celebrate the tradition and learn more about its history. Attendees enjoyed ethnic cuisine and culture including henna art, Arabic calligraphy, and a Qur'anic melody showcase by a renowned reciter. In addition, they learned more about the Muslim traditions of Ramadan and Hajj. A cultural art display also allowed students to see religious-inspired decorations, hand-woven prayer rugs, and prayer beads. Students had the opportunity to ask questions and hear answers by a visiting Islamic scholar. The event ended with authentic Pakistani cuisine and delicacies including a crowd favorite, baklava.
The Fast-a-Thon is an event that MSAs host each year on campuses across the country. The event allows the hosting organization to contribute to campus diversity by sharing ethnic cuisine and culture with students, faculty, and staff.
- Fisher Marketing Club Wins AMA Collegiate Chapter Excellence Award
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Parallel Universe and Figurations” Exhibit May 20
- Wegmans School of Nursing Acknowledges Nine with Graduate Awards
- MBA Graduates Recognized
- Inaugural Joining Forces Conference Attracts 170 Health Care Professionals, Veterans to Campus
- Executive Leadership Program Honors Students
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Honors Students During Hooding Ceremony
- Bain Awards President’s Medals at 59th Commencement
- President’s Awards Ceremony Recognizes 47 Graduating Seniors
- Madigan, Plata, and McGregor Honored During Commencement Weekend
- Class of 2013 Presents Class Gift
- Goonan ’75 Receives Honorary Degree
- McCullough Urges Graduates to ‘Keep Learning, Cultivate Curiosity’
- Sodano Receives Father Dorsey Award
- School of Pharmacy Holds 2013 Student Awards