Fast-a-Thon Promotes Awareness of Muslim Tradition
The Muslim Student Association (MSA) and the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs hosted the first-ever Fast-a-Thon on Saturday, October 20, an event aimed at raising the campus community’s awareness of the sacred Muslim tradition of fasting.
Over 55 students, faculty, and staff came together to celebrate the tradition and learn more about its history. Attendees enjoyed ethnic cuisine and culture including henna art, Arabic calligraphy, and a Qur'anic melody showcase by a renowned reciter. In addition, they learned more about the Muslim traditions of Ramadan and Hajj. A cultural art display also allowed students to see religious-inspired decorations, hand-woven prayer rugs, and prayer beads. Students had the opportunity to ask questions and hear answers by a visiting Islamic scholar. The event ended with authentic Pakistani cuisine and delicacies including a crowd favorite, baklava.
The Fast-a-Thon is an event that MSAs host each year on campuses across the country. The event allows the hosting organization to contribute to campus diversity by sharing ethnic cuisine and culture with students, faculty, and staff.
Latest College News Stories
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest
- Siler, Miller Recognized by Financial Executives International