Fast-a-Thon Promotes Awareness of Muslim Tradition
The Muslim Student Association (MSA) and the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs hosted the first-ever Fast-a-Thon on Saturday, October 20, an event aimed at raising the campus community’s awareness of the sacred Muslim tradition of fasting.
Over 55 students, faculty, and staff came together to celebrate the tradition and learn more about its history. Attendees enjoyed ethnic cuisine and culture including henna art, Arabic calligraphy, and a Qur'anic melody showcase by a renowned reciter. In addition, they learned more about the Muslim traditions of Ramadan and Hajj. A cultural art display also allowed students to see religious-inspired decorations, hand-woven prayer rugs, and prayer beads. Students had the opportunity to ask questions and hear answers by a visiting Islamic scholar. The event ended with authentic Pakistani cuisine and delicacies including a crowd favorite, baklava.
The Fast-a-Thon is an event that MSAs host each year on campuses across the country. The event allows the hosting organization to contribute to campus diversity by sharing ethnic cuisine and culture with students, faculty, and staff.
Latest College News Stories
- First-Year Pharmacy Students Include Service in Orientation
- Markwick Chosen for AANP Future Leaders Program
- Wischnowski Appointed to Diocesan School Board
- School of Education Hosts Collaborative Statewide School Symposium
- Lavigne Presents at International Social Pharmacy Workshop
- Students, Faculty Complete Summer Research at University of Rochester
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students, Faculty Travel to Montana for Service
- Fisher to Introduce Sustainability Minor this Fall
- Fisher Ranks on Forbes' 2014 "America's Best Colleges" List
- Wegmans School of Nursing Partners with Rochester General Hospital for “Resident Boot Camp”
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing to Offer Free Concussion Education Day to Community
- College Dedicates Cunningham Classroom in Salerno Center
- Basilian Fathers Hold Chapter Meetings, Events at Fisher
- Donegan Attends National Training Course
- Local High School Students Enjoy a Week of Discovery at Fisher