Fisher Named a 2014 Best Private College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
Kiplinger’s Personal Finance has included St. John Fisher College on its list of the country’s best values in private colleges. Kiplinger’s annual list ranks 100 private universities and 100 liberal arts colleges.
Fisher and the other schools included in the 2014 lists represent the colleges that provide high-quality academics at a reasonable cost during these continued tough economic times. The colleges exemplify the attributes parents and students look for in higher education, including small class sizes, a good freshman retention rate, and a high four-year graduation rate.
“This type of recognition just reinforces the value of the Fisher education to our students, parents, alumni, and prospective students,” said Dr. Donald Bain, President, St. John Fisher College. “It is also a testament to the hard work of the entire institution day in and day out, which has led to College-wide enrollment growth, high retention and graduation rates, and successful outcomes for our alumni.”
Fisher was one of only three local colleges to appear on the private universities' list, along with the University of Rochester and Rochester Institute of Technology.
“With President Obama’s recent emphasis on rating colleges and universities based on their value, our rankings serve as a valuable resource to help students and families make more informed choices,” says Janet Bodnar, editor of Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine. “Combining a high-quality education with an affordable price tag is a challenge, but the colleges on this year’s list offer the best of both worlds.”
Kiplinger’s rankings measure academic quality and affordability. Academic criteria include the student admission rate (the number of students accepted out of those who apply), the test scores of incoming freshmen, the ratio of students to faculty members, and the four- and five-year graduation rates. On the cost side, Kiplinger’s measures the sticker price, the availability and average amount of need-based and merit-based financial aid, and the average student debt at graduation. Many of the schools on the top 200 list have appeared in Kiplinger’s rankings in previous years, demonstrating that these schools consistently deliver good value. The top 50 colleges and top 50 universities appear in Kiplinger’s December issue. The full list is available online now at www.kiplinger.com/links/college.
Latest College News Stories
- Service-Learning and Science Collide in East Rochester Schools
- Fisher Alumni, Adjunct Recognized in Forty Under 40
- Football Marches on in NCAAs with Win Over Hobart
- Box Town Raises Awareness Amidst Cold Temperatures
- Vatican Insider Gary Krupp to present at St. John Fisher College on December 6
- Gantner Holds Workshops in Mexico
- Education Faculty Co-Present at International Conference
- “Team Scott” Supports Dean’s Fight
- Fisher Makes “Best Colleges for Veterans” List
- Fisher Earns At-Large Bid to NCAA Championship
- College Dedicates Pellicano Pavilion
- Beta Gamma Sigma Co-Liaison Attends Student Leadership Forum
- Mammano to be Honored as Citizen of the Year
- Cardinals Crush Courage Bowl IX
- Lavigne Selected for Strategic Planning Committee