Gantner Holds Workshops in Mexico
Dr. Ryan Gantner, Associate Professor and Mathematics Department Chair, recently conducted three workshops at the Centro de Aprendizaje in Oaxaca, Mexico, a non-profit tutoring agency which specializes in helping economically disadvantaged students who come from rural areas to attend public high schools in Oaxaca City.
Gantner's workshops are for the math tutors at the Centro. The first workshop, held on November 9, was titled "El Método de Pólya," and focused on tutoring mathematics and communicating with high school students. The second workshop, held on November 16, was titled "Aplicaciones de las Matemáticas," and centered on applications of mathematics so as to use the tutors to promote mathematics among high school students. His final workshop, given on November 23, was titled "Juegos Matemáticos." It illustrated how much fun math can be with various types of mathematical games.
Gantner said the biggest challenge for him was conducting the workshops in Spanish.
Latest College News Stories
- School of Arts and Sciences to Host Free Screening of “Shadows of the Lynching Tree”
- College to Host Storytelling Festival
- #MeetTheMedia with #FisherComm Thursday
- St. John Fisher College Top Ranked NYS Institution in 2014 CPA Exam Results
- Renfro Called Upon for Bush Family Expertise
- 2013 Alumnus Publishes Article in U.S. Naval Institute Magazine
- Students "Tapped" to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- March First Friday Lecture Focus is European Influence in Rochester
- Countdown to Commencement: Cole Lachance-Tofany
- Teddi Dance for Love Surpasses $1 Million Mark
- Miss Norma, Lackmann Honored by Parent Company
- 33rd Annual Teddi Dance Reveals Packed 24-Hour Schedule
- Health & Wellness Center to Recognize National Eating Disorders Awareness Week
- Young Camper to be Remembered at Teddi Dance
- Teddi Committee Hosts “Very Beary Brunch”