Gantner Holds Workshops in Mexico
Dr. Ryan Gantner, Associate Professor and Mathematics Department Chair, recently conducted three workshops at the Centro de Aprendizaje in Oaxaca, Mexico, a non-profit tutoring agency which specializes in helping economically disadvantaged students who come from rural areas to attend public high schools in Oaxaca City.
Gantner's workshops are for the math tutors at the Centro. The first workshop, held on November 9, was titled "El Método de Pólya," and focused on tutoring mathematics and communicating with high school students. The second workshop, held on November 16, was titled "Aplicaciones de las Matemáticas," and centered on applications of mathematics so as to use the tutors to promote mathematics among high school students. His final workshop, given on November 23, was titled "Juegos Matemáticos." It illustrated how much fun math can be with various types of mathematical games.
Gantner said the biggest challenge for him was conducting the workshops in Spanish.
Latest College News Stories
- Charles McVay Inducted into National Math Honor Society
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Holds Hooding, Presents Awards
- Recognition Ceremony Celebrates School of Nursing Grads
- Dr. Katrina Arndt Receives Trustees’ Distinguished Scholar Award
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Celebrates Ed.D. Candidates
- Bain Presents Two with President’s Medals
- Seniors Honored for Academic Achievement, Campus Leadership at President’s Awards Ceremony
- Banquet Honors Senior Student-Athletes
- Nearly 1,200 Graduate during Fisher’s 61st Commencement
- National Biology Honor Society Inducts 29
- Entrepreneurship in the Classroom Focus of Education Conference
- Fisher Researcher Awarded Patent for New Technology
- Classroom Dedication Celebrates a True Fisher Family
- Education Celebration Honors Students, Alumni, Community Partners
- Three at Fisher Named Outstanding Adult Students