Gantner Holds Workshops in Mexico
Dr. Ryan Gantner, Associate Professor and Mathematics Department Chair, recently conducted three workshops at the Centro de Aprendizaje in Oaxaca, Mexico, a non-profit tutoring agency which specializes in helping economically disadvantaged students who come from rural areas to attend public high schools in Oaxaca City.
Gantner's workshops are for the math tutors at the Centro. The first workshop, held on November 9, was titled "El Método de Pólya," and focused on tutoring mathematics and communicating with high school students. The second workshop, held on November 16, was titled "Aplicaciones de las Matemáticas," and centered on applications of mathematics so as to use the tutors to promote mathematics among high school students. His final workshop, given on November 23, was titled "Juegos Matemáticos." It illustrated how much fun math can be with various types of mathematical games.
Gantner said the biggest challenge for him was conducting the workshops in Spanish.
Check out photos from Move In Day 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Accounting Professor Selected for Third Fulbright
- Lavery Librarians Win Audience Award at Fast Pitch Competition
- Share Your Family Recipes with the Fisher Cookbook
- Mental Health Counseling Program Earns Grant to Fund New Training Program
- Fall Athletes Achieve Historic Seasons for Fisher
- Stress Free Week Activities Help Ease Finals Frenzy
- Grant Gives Media Arts Lab an Interactive Makeover
- Fisher Event Registers 60 Bone Marrow Donors