Gantner Holds Workshops in Mexico
Dr. Ryan Gantner, Associate Professor and Mathematics Department Chair, recently conducted three workshops at the Centro de Aprendizaje in Oaxaca, Mexico, a non-profit tutoring agency which specializes in helping economically disadvantaged students who come from rural areas to attend public high schools in Oaxaca City.
Gantner's workshops are for the math tutors at the Centro. The first workshop, held on November 9, was titled "El Método de Pólya," and focused on tutoring mathematics and communicating with high school students. The second workshop, held on November 16, was titled "Aplicaciones de las Matemáticas," and centered on applications of mathematics so as to use the tutors to promote mathematics among high school students. His final workshop, given on November 23, was titled "Juegos Matemáticos." It illustrated how much fun math can be with various types of mathematical games.
Gantner said the biggest challenge for him was conducting the workshops in Spanish.
Latest College News Stories
- ’75 Alumna is Keynote Speaker at 2014 Science Scholars Symposium
- High School Students “Spend-a-Day” with the Department of Media and Communication
- Maggs to be Published in “American Economist”
- Kozan Publishes Two Articles
- Cunningham to be Visiting Faculty in Yucatan in Fall 2014
- Pharmacy Faculty, Students Complete Pune Medical Mission
- March First Friday to Focus on Evolution of Criminology
- School of Business Dean Surprises Students with Invites to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- Accounting Roundtable Energizes Students
- AMA Rochester Collegiate Conference Attracts Area Students, National Professionals to Fisher
- Countdown to Commencement: Adaobi Ikpeze
- 32nd Annual Teddi Dance for Love Raises Spirits and $63,614
- Cowley Attends BGS Student Leadership Forum
- Students Compete in Mathematical Contest
- Siler, Miller Recognized by Financial Executives International