Gantner Holds Workshops in Mexico
Dr. Ryan Gantner, Associate Professor and Mathematics Department Chair, recently conducted three workshops at the Centro de Aprendizaje in Oaxaca, Mexico, a non-profit tutoring agency which specializes in helping economically disadvantaged students who come from rural areas to attend public high schools in Oaxaca City.
Gantner's workshops are for the math tutors at the Centro. The first workshop, held on November 9, was titled "El Método de Pólya," and focused on tutoring mathematics and communicating with high school students. The second workshop, held on November 16, was titled "Aplicaciones de las Matemáticas," and centered on applications of mathematics so as to use the tutors to promote mathematics among high school students. His final workshop, given on November 23, was titled "Juegos Matemáticos." It illustrated how much fun math can be with various types of mathematical games.
Gantner said the biggest challenge for him was conducting the workshops in Spanish.
Latest College News Stories
- Alumni Association Board Welcomes New Members
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing Receives Federal Grant
- CCNE On-Site Evaluation Scheduled
- St. John Fisher College Breaks Ground for New Science Building
- AP Summer Institute Held at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Appoints Interim Dean of School of Business
- Alumnae Receive Top Honors at Local Public Relations Industry Awards
- Bain Travels to Ireland
- Cyber Café Courtyard Open
- St. John Fisher College Elects New Board Member
- Alumnus Honored by American Medical Association Foundation
- TriBeta Students Present Work at National Convention
- Alumnus Honors Two Basilian Fathers Through Classroom Dedication
- College Bound Program Holds Graduation Ceremony
- Fisher’s United Way Co-Chairs Named “Shining Stars”